Cold shut occurence

Hi: I have encountered a cold shut occurence (identified) by third party material lab for a manifold casting as the cause of leakage.Also, the report says that they found shrinkage in the material at the inlet of the fluid.

I want to know the basic definition of cold shut?also, what are the likely chances of it occuring in a design part ( which can be manufactured by forging or by casting) Kindly, advise.

Thanks, neil

Reply to
Neil

An internal seam caused by premature chilling of surfaces coming into contact, which prevent their refuzing together. Happens in forging and casting. QC of the process is indicated to stop the problem

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott