Heat transfer PDE boundary value problem

I'm having trouble determining the eigenvalues for a 1-D wall, transient PDE with the BCs:

at x=0: T(0,t)=To

at x=L: k(dT/dt)+h[T(L,t)-Tinf]=0 (convection)

I defined: theta(x,t)=T(x,t)-To

using separation of variables: Omega(x,t)=X(x)G(t)

Using the first boundary condition (redefined in terms of Omega so that omega(0,t)=0), I was able to simplify X(x) to C1*cos(lambda*x). Applying the second convective BC results in a mess, something like:

lambda*cot(lambda*L)= h/k + h/(k*C1)*[ (To-Tinf) / sin(lambda*L) ]

It'd simplify things a lot if I can redefine theta(x,t) as T(x,t)-Tinf, but can I redefine theta it twice in the same problem? Or is that incorrect?

Thanks in advance for any help! Dave

Reply to
dave.harper

What's the problem? This is the equation for the eigenvalue lambda. It doesn't get any simpler. [I haven't checked your calculations though.]

Yep, that's incorrect.

-Michael.

Reply to
Michael Jørgensen