Pipe Cutting Problem

Is anyone familiar with the Pipe Cutting Problem?
More than 20 years ago I worked at a boiler repair shop that had a Pipe Cutting program. Now that I am retired, I could use it again. Searching the internet has resulted in math symbols that have no meaning to me. I have been out of school for too many years and do not remember things that I have not used in 45 years.
I have a population of 20 entries and want to separate it into 5 groups of near equal numerical amounts. With just 20 entries, I solved it manually (see one solution below). But, if I get a larger population of 100 or 500 entries, then I need help from a PC. (I am using Visual Basic 6 (not .NET) to solve this.) The following is my sample data for which I am basing the program upon. I hope I haven't screwed up the numbers with a typo, but I think you can gather what I am trying to do if I did. The entries have text which I will retain, but the sort is numerical. The sort is my problem. How do I get the answer, or close to it, that is at the bottom of this post?
As an example, consider the input data to be a list of files on a computer that must be copied to compact disks (CDs). Each CD can store approximately 716000 KB (for this example), but I want to make each CD contain close to the same amount, the average (655242) of the total (3276208) within 1/2 percent.
My Input data:
Alpha 161070
Bravo 200693
Charlie 144706
Delta 156937
Echo 141950
Foxtrot 264431
Golf 129718
Hotel 122485
India 137988
Juliet 176747
Kilo 220332
Lima 151080
Mike 125412
November 170891
Oscar 136265
Papa 146946
Quebec 165550
Romeo 186222
Sierra 155214
Tango 181571
The sum of the entries is 3,276,208. Setting 5 groups averaging 655,242, each group will have 4 entries. I know larger populations will not have an even number in every case. There may be a an odd number of entries in a group or two. The following is what I did manually and would like some help with doing the same *or better* with VB6. Having the information stated, I need some suggestions to achieve the following (or close to it) based on the input numbers. I need a "simplified" description, one without mathematic symbols that I don't understand. With a good explanation of the math, I believe I can solve the programming portion.
The following represents my answer - the five groups and their totals:
264431 220332 200893 186222 170891
137988 122485 156937 181571 165550
129718 176747 151080 144706 161070
125412 136265 146946 141950 155214
----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- -----------
657,549 655,829 655,856 654,449 652,725
Note the total KB of each of the five groups (5 CDs) is close to the 655242 average. I attempted to keep them within a range of 651966 to 658518 (655242 plus/minus 1/2 percent).
I appreciate any and all help,
Jim Y
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:19:23 -0400, Jim Y wrote:

Hence the recommendation to crosspost (if one must) instead of multipost.
http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#xpost     Crosspost, dont multipost
    When you multipost, people in one group cant see answers     in the other group, which results in lots of duplication.
The post here (sci.mech.fluids) gives way more information than the post in sci.engr.mech:
It seems that I wasted my effort there.
I'm including that group in my reply.
Does this query exists in multiple forms elsewhere?
This might be the quickest way to get what you need: http://www.google.com/search?q=stock+cutting+software
Adam

I apologize for the error. When I did not receive any answer to my first post I began seeking newsgroups that I had never used before. It was to late to multipost then. I didn't intend to offend anyone. Jim