pipe cutting

I tried winmiter (didn't work) probably a Vista problem tried ezpipe (didn't work) probably a Vista problem
Tried everything / way I could to get ahold of snipped-for-privacy@aol.com ref. the
winmiter program with no luck. I tried to look up his business "Reality Check Systems"....doesn't exsist. Now what? I need a pipe miter program to work on my system. Anybody have any suggestions on getting ahold of winmiter's programmer to ask questions on how to get it to work for me?
Thanks Mike
mike wrote:

Go back into winmiter and walk through the steps again, but this time write down everything you enter into the program (tube diameter, angle ..) and rather than use winmiter to generate the template, post the specifications and let one of us generate it as PDF and email it to you - you *can* print generic PDF, right?
GWE

Thanks Grant!
4.5" verticle OD pipe 2.5" OD intersecting pipe at 45 deg. (brace for corral fence) 0 offset
Mike
ref. the

I see that 4" pipe has an OD of 4.5", but I don't see any pipe with an OD of 2.5", Mike. 2" pipe has 2-3/8" OD, and 2.5" pipe has 2-7/8" OD. Or is this 2.5" tube?
I'm just checking, don't want you to cut twice ..
If your numbers below are correct, the PDF is: www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/WinMiter1.pdf
Grant
mike wrote:

Grant: Thanks, you are right it is actually 2-3/8", sorry, I think that this will be close enough for what I am doing....building a horse corral. I just cut out the templet and went out and wrapped it around the pipe and the ends only overlap by about maybe 1/32" so it is definately close enough.
Thanks
Mike
ref.

Cool, I'll have to try that. I usually just eyeball it, and it usually looks like crap!
How do you cut those things, anyway? I've got a bunch of drill pipe and that stuff is a little hard to cut.
Sparky wrote:

I cut pipe fishmouth joints with a plasma cutter, and clean up with an angle grinder a little - there's generally a little gap-filling to do during welding.
GWE

What if you don't have a plasma cutter? :-(
Sparky wrote:

Oxy-acetylene torch, then, or precisely-sized hole saws and a buncha jigs.
GWE

Well it worked just fine. I marked with a soapstone, cut with a torch and laid the pipe against the post and the gap was very (relatively) close with some gaps maybe 1/16" due to my shaky hands and wind blowing, cutting off the tailgait so all in all I am happy with the set up. I did make two cuts a lot more off by not following the soapstone line close enough but nothing that I can't fill with the wirefeed. I had to quit welding when the winds got to about 30 mph and I couldn't sheild out the wind anymore, I will finish the corral this week.
Mike

Grant,
What a wrap-around clever idea!
Down with Vista! Up with DIYers!