Re: CAD engineering software recommendations...

Hi all,

> > I'm looking to get into CAD as it seems the way to go these days. I > just wondered which particular package(s) to look at. I'm primarily > interested in the desinging and building of small, > electrically-propelled, remote-controlled vehicles, so in addition to > the usual CAD requirements of 3-D object manipulation, the s/ware > needs to be pretty well developed for the modelling of drive systems; > shafts, belts, pullys, chains, sprockets, etc., and the correct > tensioning of chains and belts under load, how they interact with each > other in use and so forth. So which programs should I be considering > and are any of them available in trial versions for checking-out > purposes? > > Thanks, > > p.

Solidworks has a free personal training version. It is basically equivalent to their commercial offering, but with limitations on filesharing, etc.

95% of the functionality of Pro/E with 25% of the learning curve.
Reply to
ms

you can use mechanical desktop 6 power pack , it includes simple fea tools. i mean if your designing simple stuffs you can get an idea its behaviour. the software includes a library of common metal sections available in commerce along with their properties

Reply to
Irshaad

I will just show you the market shares, from Top to Bottom (it reflects also, more or less, features, capabilities and costs) about 3D CADs:

- UG & Catia

- IDEAS & Pro-E

- SolidWorks & Solid Edge

- Inventor, Mechanical Desktop, Microstation.

Personally I suggest SolidWorks &/or Solid Edge: the best compromise.

Good luck!

Reply to
paxm