Layout drawing software

Once you have your layout mapped out/designed/pinned down and points all wired up for DCC, is there any good software (free or commercial)
that allows you to put this in the computer/PC and then mark up points/turnouts (and dcc accessory numbers), signals (and dcc numbers) etc. ?
Now my layout is done and before I add scenery etc, I want to knock up a diagram/plan of the layout and then mark on it the points/turnouts and which accessory number (for point changing) is which on the diagram so I have a hard copy reference. Short of making marker posts with the numbers on alongside each turnout/point.
I know hornby do a track designed for about 10, but its more dependant on the piece numbers and cost when building it. Are there any other alternatives?
--
Chris King
(remove nospam to email direct)

All the best,

Chris

At Mon, 6 Feb 2012 23:10:33 +0000 Chris King

XtrkCAD is free, runs on any operating system.
http://www.xtrkcad.org /

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 23:10:33 +0000, Chris King wrote:

+1 on xtrkcad

For layout design yes, but for a control panel I would do something more diagrammatic using something like GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ .
MBQ
At Tue, 7 Feb 2012 01:04:12 -0800 (PST) " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

xtrkcad does have available all of the bits and pieces to do a control panel.
If you are into a computer controlled layout (eg Chubb CMR/I), the Model Railroad System can do that.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933

s al> > l

up > > a

so > > I

ependa> > nt

Yes, I know. It also has quite a steep learning curve which is why I would not recommend it, unless the effort is useful to you for layout design as well.
MBQ
At Tue, 7 Feb 2012 07:51:40 -0800 (PST) " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

In many ways, GIMP has just as steep a learning curve (and GIMP is really horrible for CAD work anyway -- great for things like designing CD labels or website artwork). I figured that once the OP figured out laying track with xtrkcad, it would be fairly simple to move onto designing the control panel(s)...

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Anyrail is fantastic. Highly recomended

oint> > s al=3D

l) t> > hat

umbe> > rs)

nock> > up =3D

uts > > and

gram> > so =3D

more d> > ependa=3D

--http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem /
JMRI?
<snip>

GIMP's mainly better for photo and bitmap work, for doing line art and diagrams Inkscape is worth a look. http://www.inkscape.org - it's free.
--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.
On 14/02/2012 7:46 AM, Graham Thurlwell wrote:

GIMP is an attempt to clone Photoshop functionality. It's spectacularly successful in doing so, especially in the "steep learning curve", which is code for "this is a textbook example of how to design the most user-hostile interface possible".
Wolf K.

OTOH, a lot of what Photoshop is used for professionally can be pretty complex (probably much more than what we 'amatures' really need). I don't know if Photoshop has been suffering from the long term effects of 'creeping featurism' with the result being that it has 'the most user-hostile interface possible', which GIMP is trying its best to clone, warts and all.
Inkscape also has a somewhat user-hostile interface, probably because it is trying to clone Illustrator, which in turn probably suffers from 'creeping featurism' as well.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933