rotary engine -- what's the name ??

There's at least one PSRU available that is designed specifically for the Mazda.

In principle you could change out the internal gearing and do away with the reduction unit--I've never had Wankel apart so I don't know if the gearing on the rotors is removable.

Reply to
J. Clarke

5/16" sounds like a an odd size. I'm sure it must be standard for something, but not where I'm from. (I design a lot of tubes, and spec a lot of fittings. We have tube bending machines. You input the bend data, push a button, and out comes a bent tube.) I'd guess the garage mechanic might need to kluge both metric and inch fittings/tubes together, but it seems like a rare occurance. Vendors, like Parker, have catalogs of both inch and metric fittings. It's just too easy to buy tube and fittings that match to cobble together parts not designed for each other.
Reply to
Turby

Different feet. Like US and Imperial gallons, or Statute vs Nautical vs Roman miles.

Reply to
J. Clarke

AIR, (& without resorting to Google,) the standard meter started out in France as a stick of some metal stored in the French Academy or some place. Then it was redefined as an atomic distance dependant on some isotope. I don't think the distances are exactly the same, but it's close enough for guv'mint work. I don't remember the history of the inch, but you know it's flexed over the centuries.

Reply to
Turby

Dear Turby:

I had to deliver deionized water to a part manufactured in Japan. They can get 8mm fittings cheap. I can get 5/16"OD teflon tubing cheap, cheaper than 8mm anyway. So it was a win-win.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Dear Turby:

Good memory. Characteristic wavelengths of certain elements (xenon perhaps, 1960). Finally established as c times a certain amount of time (1983).

Big time. Now back to the engines. This stuff is largely boring...

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Before that, it was conceived as the length of the meridian distance from the pole, passing through Paris to the equator - a quater of a polar circumference in fact. The Enlightenment, and all that. It didn't quite work out that way though.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Using auto gearboxes is usually a Very Bad Thing. Those lower gears are not intended for continuous hi torque. Top gear is usually a straight through (no gear) arrangement. Still overdrive is not.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

You're only off by a factor of 10 million, but I knew what you meant.

It did though- it's not a coincidence that the circumference of the earth is almost exactly 40 000 km.

Reply to
Mark Olson

There is no internal gearing that affects output speed. The internal gears time the rotor so it progresses accuratelly around the trochoidal housing.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Note items 5 and 7.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Oh? You also need to take a look at

The shaft is geared to the rotor that gear ratio most assuredly does affect output speed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You have a misconception that's quite common. The rotor is NOT geared to the shaft. It orbits around the stationary gear.

Here's an animation that shows it better than the Wiki article.

Chas Hurst

And if you don't have a half inch wrench handy, a 13mm open end will do most of the time.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Bolton

Interesting.

Reply to
J. Clarke
[ the standard meter ]

You mean the meter is not quite the desired fraction of the polar circumference, I suppose? :-)

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Ah, good one John!

Count the teeth on item 5 and 7, and work out what happens if you vary the ratio. If that is what you are suggesting.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Here's another link with photos of actual parts.

Chas Hurst

I see now--it's really a reciprocating engine with a "differently abled" piston.

I've been toying with the idea of building a LoCost with a Mazda engine. Might do it once I get my current project list cleared, just to have an excuse to take one apart.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A rotory powered LoCost would be a very nice drive and a fun project.

Reply to
Chas Hurst