slider crank problem..

Hi, I am scratching my head from some time about this problem I was wondering if you can help.

Question:The saw blade in a lunber mill is required to remain in the horizontal position and undergo a complete back and forth motion in 2 seconds. An electric motor, having a shaft rotation of 50 rad/ sec is available to power the saw and can be located anywhere. Design a mechanism that will transfer he rotation of the motor's shaft to the saw blade. show calculations of the kinematics of the saw blade. and include a plot of the velocity and acceleration of the saw blade as a function of horizontal position.

Answer: I was thinking of a crank and slider mechanism but then was stuck at the calculations especially on how to plot the graph as a function of horizontal position..?. please help/......

Reply to
recycler

Check out pretty much any engineering physics textbook and check under "kinematics"...that's the branch that deals with, among other things, equations of motion for various machine configurations. A crank and slider is a pretty easy one, there should be directly applicable examples in any good text.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Sanderson