Solder Shelf Life - 96-Sn/4-Ag

I have some Kester rosin core wire solder (96-Sn/4-Ag) that has exceeded its shelf life. According to Kester's knowledge base, their Shelf Life Policy statement states that:

"Flux cored solder wire has a limited shelf life determined by the alloy used in the wire. For alloys containing more than70% lead, the shelf life is two years from date of manufacture. Other alloys have a shelf life of three years from date of manufacture."

I would like to know the mechanism of degradation of the alloy.

Reply to
paulo57509

I don't think that the alloy degrades. I think the flux degrades, probably due to moisture breaching the metal sheath.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Oxidation would be the concern, I imagine. It leads to an unwanted dross component.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott