To: David A. Smith

Hi David, I have the kinetic sculpture finished and documented. I'm having trouble getting the .avi file size small enough without dropping frames (dropped frames means ineffective view inside the zoetrope). Thanks for all your help...and the same to Brian.

-Mac

Mac

Dear Mac:

You bet. Congratulations! It looks "classic". If you find a public exposition that will show it, please let us know.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

I am going to suppose on very slender evidence - considering the meager contribution I made - that I am the Brian in question. (Who would not want to be associated with this beautiful object?)

This looks like a very expensive, very splendid piece altogether. I was disappointed I could not get the avi to go, but the stills are georgeous. I was pleased that you have it runnable for an hour or more....

How much will it sell for, if at all?

Brian Whatcott

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

The video page is poorly designed, works not with NS7 ( made with FP4), but OK with IE6, has no explicit link to the video file itself and the video itself uses a DIVX codec.. On top of that the server is abysmally slow.

That said, if you want the video use this link:

Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ( snipped-for-privacy@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

Ed Ruf

Don't worry about the size. The server is so abysmally slow it doesn't matter. Also, fwiw, the video page doesn't work in NS 7 and you have no explicit link on the page to the video file. I had to look at the page source to figure out a url to get the file.

It does seem ironic in a url with mac in it, you are using the avi video format with a Divx codec. ________________________________________________________ Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ( snipped-for-privacy@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

Ed Ruf

I tried this link: using windows media, I got a codec not available - I then followed the advice to reduce IE security to default level in order to auto download - but still no joy. The fault may lie at my end though...

Thanks for the gesture.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

That is because the avi is encoded with the Divx codec and you probably don't have it installed. It; is not a free codec. ________________________________________________________ Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ( snipped-for-privacy@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

Ed Ruf

Ah, yes

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Sorry for my absence, my computer was hijacked and it took a good week to get it back on its feet. Seems I was the proud new owner of a virus that resided in my rom.

I apologize for the poorly executed video page. Guess I'm a better sculptor than I am a web designer (but I'm cool with that). I replaced the avi with an mpeg and simply linked to the file but I still don't think it works. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the kind words regarding the piece. Considering the complexity of the piece, any exhibition would have to be within driving distance, anywhere between Chicago and St. Louis. Selling price is $9000.00 but I'll have to get it in a city before I see a sale. Anyway, it's good to be back in the game. I've been teaching painting and, therefore, making paintings foe the past few years.

-Mac

Reply to
Mac

Sorry to hear this. Are you serving the site yourself? I now see you are the mac in the url.

This what I would have suggested. This worked ok the first time, but when I tried again to verify the timing of the dl it was a lot slower. I'm seeing

15~KB/sec on my 4000 kps broadband connection. You might let folks know how big a file it is beforehand, and if serving this yourself to expect a slow dl.

________________________________________________________ Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ( snipped-for-privacy@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

Ed Ruf

No, I've got some space on one of those "free" servers. The quality is pretty bad, it's down more than it's not and as you mentioned, very slow. I'm waiting to hear from the powers-that-be if I can get some space on our school server. So, you think it's best to have the download rather than a file that plays in the browser?

-Mac

Reply to
Mac

You might consider a paid hosting service, they've gotten pretty cheap. The one I'm using is $5/month (6 months prepaid at a time) with one free domain registration, as an example.

This is a matter of opinion, but I have my own strong views on this. That said yes, I prefer and use this method on my own personal pages and on the site I curate at work. I subscribe to a somewhat minimalist view striving for the broadest browser/OS compatibility. At work we must even accommodate folks who use text based browsers and/or text readers. I'm also not a fan of requiring plugins be loaded. By linking you provide the greatest cross compatible option that allows those you want to to easily just dl the file and use whatever app they prefer outside the browser. ________________________________________________________ Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ( snipped-for-privacy@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

Ed Ruf

You might consider a paid hosting service, they've gotten pretty cheap. The

May I ask where it is you get this deal?

This is a matter of opinion, but I have my own strong views on this. That

accommodate

Understood, thanks.

-Mac

Reply to
Mac

Sure. I've been with them about 8 months now and have been quite happy. A friend recently got the business package and is happy as well. The place is

1and1,
.

I have the Linux hosting home package.

?__frame=_topDuring my initial 6 months they increased the storage space offered from

500MB to 1 GB and my account was automatically updated. Found them from the multipage ads in PCMag and figured what the hey was $30 to give it a try. I just reupped last month. One problem I did have was their mail server got blacklisted by spamcop.net for a couple days and my sister's new company was using their beta service to reject all mail. When I called to report it they were all ready working on it and it was cleared up in a day or two. My one tech support call was quickly answered. My ISP cox.net blocks outgoing smtp traffic on the default port. The support rep quickly found out how to change the port in Eudora and sent me an e-mail on it. Compared to cox.net's tech support it was orders of magnitude better. ________________________________________________________ Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ( snipped-for-privacy@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
Ed Ruf

Sure. I've been with them about 8 months now and have been quite happy. A

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Reply to
Mac