Trying To Fake Thermo

A few laymen can get _some_ kind of understanding of thermo. The anchor of NPR for example, has figured out how to avoid saying stupid things on the subject.

But if most people try to fake knowledge of thermo, they will out themselves in a few lines.

Here it's one line:

>A couple years ago an Israeli company was working on zinc or magnesium > >"fuel" systems for motor vehicles. The additional weight would be > >like an additional person in the vehicle -- not a biggie. The real > >problem was it would require an infrastructure, governmental action, > >etc. to be practical for road transportation. > >I posted that it would be easier to prototype the system with > >something that never went very far and always returned to a home base > >where the oxides could be collected and sent for reprocessing. > >After it's demonstrated then it could be pushed for motor vehicles. > Problem with prototyping it for short distance runs is that it might > not scale up for long distances

You have any reason for thinking that it wouldn't scale?

Of course not.

That's because you thought you could fake a tech background.

Sorry, Charlie, that ain't gonna happen, certainly not with thermo.

Now, if you don't want to get a Pell grant or work your way through college or even go to the library and read up on thermo, then go back to reading your Harliquin romance novels.

And typing:

"LOL"

"Show your calculations"

"Cite?"

"Huge!"

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

This thread reminds me of a comic:

I thought it was hilarious, but my wife (not an engineer) didn't get it...

Reply to
dgp

Wow, I like that guy's stuff. Have you shown your wife #162?

Reply to
Charlie Siegrist

I'm still trying to back calculate the title of the Harliquin romance novel that inspired her theory that scaling up adiabatic engine systems could be a problem.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Bret, thanks for the link. I read almost all of them. The later ones are funnier; some early ones I couldn't get at all even with the flyover hints.

Uncle Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben

On Aug 14, 7:19 am, snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com wrote: ....

Zinc or magnesium, how? Magnesium reacts with steam to yield hydrogen, but now you have to 1) provide water, and 2) heat it to steam.

Maybe sodium or potassium metal - those react with room-temperature water to yield hydrogen gas and the metal hydroxide. But still, you need water: so you have to fill up twice: once with the (hazardous) metal, and once with water.

Then again there are energy density considerations... compare the volume and mass of these alternative fuels with those of gasoline.

???

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett