Recommended metallurgy texts?.....

Hello,

A few days ago, someone on this newsgroup (unfortunately, I don't remember who) recommended a metallurgy text called "Metallurgy Theory and Practice". Is this the book written by Allen, Dell K. ?

Could you kind folks recommend any other excellent metallurgy texts as well? I am primarily interested in ferrous metallurgy, but non-ferrous metallurgy texts would also be welcome.

Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Depending upon how "academic" your interests, you may enjoy the book "Engineer To Win" by Carroll Smith - an automobile race driver/enthusiast. It is an excellent popularized introduction to practical metallurgy, with race cars as the common focus.

You can read an extract at Amazon.com at the link below, or simply input the title in the Amazon.com search engine.

Jim

jbuch

That's the one, I recommend everywhere. ;) For the money, that one can't be beat.

What are you doing, knifemaking or what?

I have a bunch of books, my newest favorite one;) is an ASM book- Steels: Heat Treatment and Processing Principles by Krauss.

Both those are very readable self-teaching texts. :)

ASM's Metals Handbook at the library or a Desk Edition for home has lots of information but the self teaching texts are needed first really.

Another favorite is the 4th edition of- ASM's Tool Steels by Roberts and Cary. (I don't care much for their 5th edition)

Alvin in AZ (learning tool steel metallurgy for a hobby?)

Reply to
alvinj

Just got my -own- copy from Amazon today and the dust cover sez;)... it's an updated and improved version of a book by Marcus Grossman and Edgar Bain "Princilples of Heat Treatment".

A guy (Bill H. in ME, that seems to be some sort of wizard when it comes to search engines) emailed me these two...

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

No, I'm just an engineer trying to brush up on my metallurgy knowledge. I'm not working on any specific projects like knifemaking, etc.

Thanks for the suggesti> > A few days ago, someone on this newsgroup (unfortunately, I don't

Reply to
Andrew

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I really like "Phase Transformations in Metals and Alloys" by Porter and Easterling. It gives a background in the thermo, kinetics, diffusion and interfacial reactions. It then goes on to explain how and why specific transformations occur (solidification, matrinsitic transformations, etc.) It also includes quite a few case studies which help to go from the theoretical to the practical. It can delve pretty deep into the theory, but depending on your background it can be very informative (ie. you may want to check it out at the library before purchasing).

Seth

Reply to
Seth Imhoff

They have just had these on the blacksmithing forum if you take the end off the address you will come up with the index files with more interesting reading.

Chris

Reply to
jenni.chris

I guess it depends on what a guy finds interesting reading? ;)

Bill H. sent me the address knowing I'm not on any website-forums?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

True :) I can't argue with that

Reply to
jenni.chris

When I got back to true metallurgy a few years ago, I found "Structures and Properties of Engineering Alloys" by William F. Smith. You can often find copies on

or
for cheap.

This is an awesome book for beginners because it covers just about every alloy system and tells you what they are used for, WHY they were developed, microstructures, typical properties, temper conditions, etc.

Great coverage of steels, alloy steels, SS, tool steels, but also everything from aluminum to titanium.

You'll love it.

Reply to
JoeM