edit texts or hatches

it used to be that to edit texts or hatches I just needed to dble click them, and a window would pop up
well, doesnt work anymore.
Since last week, on this computer, I need to go to to the properties tab and edit from there, which takes longer. Which setting did I inadvertently change? how do I go back to the previous one? thanx