what is a fender washer?

what is a fender washer? in which situation is it used?

Reply to
alanh_27

A fender washer has a larger than normal outside diameter for the size of the center hole. The purpose is to cover the slotted adjustment holes normally found in some fenders and body panels.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Dear alanh_27:

Just to add a little to John Kunkel's response... They also help distribute loading, when the bolted joint is into/includes sheet metal. Serves to stiffen up the bolted area.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Sort of. Usually not very strong, so they tend to sink a lot if you torque them down to a reasonable amount. I've brazed a smaller washer on top of a fender washer to stiffen one up, just stacking them only goes so far. Actually, I needed it to remove and replace some bearings from the front axle of my 4x4 truck. Had a 5/8" allthread going the length of the axle and you couldn't get washers the right diameter with a 5/8" hole in it. Lots of wrenching going on that day!

Reply to
carl mciver

A little guy name Jose' who works down at my local car wash. He's not tall enough to wash the top of the car, just the fenders.

carl mciver wrote:

Reply to
tes

OK, so what's the etemology?

Did they hold fenders on, or fend off denting?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

STOP THE CROSS POSTING PLEASE, THIS IS A WOOD TURNING SITE !!!

Reply to
Leo Van Der Loo

wrote: A little guy name Jose' who works down at my local car wash. He's not tall enough to wash the top of the car, just the fenders. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You can buy at your neighborhood electric guitar store parts department.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: OK, so what's the etemology? Did they hold fenders on, or fend off denting? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It's the same etymology, Jeff. Fenders on a car are so named because they fend off other cars, or possibly cows. Incidentally, in Britain, fenders really can fend off things--they are what Americans call "bumpers."

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

We call them 'penny washers' in the UK, because they are about the same size as an old penny.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Ah yes, and I'm old enough to remember when cars HAD bumpers, not the wussy things they still call bumpers which get scarred from their first kiss.

I also remember "bumper bolts"; Chromed carriage bolts which held the old chromed bumpers onto their brackets.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I can remember when Sunoco 260 cost .25 a gallon! John

Reply to
UltraJohn

That is what happened to all of those old Pennies!

Our 1/2" hole type are typically 2" or more.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Actually, those "wussy things" will take a higher speed impact without damage other than scratches than will the ones when cars HAD bumpers. The reason for the "wussy things" is that the government wasn't satisfied with the strength of the existing bumpers and required that they be made stronger--to do that they had to be made with some "give" which meant using flexible materials which meant scratches.

Personally I think it was a bad idea--the "wussy things" work fine up to their design speed but above that they cost a _lot_ more to fix than the old fashioned kind because the pieces that make them able to survive impacts at the required speed get broken and have to be replaced.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I can remember when you jacked up a car by the bumper. Nowdays hit a curb and its $800 in repairs

Gunner

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know." -- P.J O'Rourke (1989)

Gunner

Would you damned wood turners please stop typing in caps!! Besides this is a metal working site, and we dont work to 1/8" and call it precison.

Wood butcher!! And you cut down Gods Trees to do your damned criminal work. We only dig up mountains for our materials!

So there! BRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPP!

Gunner

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know." -- P.J O'Rourke (1989)

Gunner

Just for the fun of it ;-) When on a boat in the USA or Canada the word bumper is used to identify a protective rubber rail or similar device permanently mounted on the freeboards of a boat to absorb small impacts. Fenders are not permanently mounted and are attached with ropes to the deck rail when needed as an additional protection when docking, rafting or other situations that can cause damages. When you see a tug boat with numerous black tires attached with rope on its freeboards they are used as fenders. FWIW.

Reply to
Denis Marier

Reply to
larry g

Chuckle! That sucker has no idea who he's messing with, does he? Give him hell, Gunner.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

:On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:08:02 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo : wrote: : :>

:>

:>STOP THE CROSS POSTING PLEASE, THIS IS A WOOD TURNING SITE !!! : : :Would you damned wood turners please stop typing in caps!! Besides :this is a metal working site, and we dont work to 1/8" and call it :precison. : :Wood butcher!! And you cut down Gods Trees to do your damned criminal :work. :We only dig up mountains for our materials! : :So there! BRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPP! : :Gunner : :"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, :on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. :True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, :but why this is more stylish than :sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know." : -- P.J O'Rourke (1989) :--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gunner, could we talk you into hanging out in rec.aviation.homebuilt some? You got style.

Reply to
Richard Riley