Which is more advanced in mech? USA or Germany?

Whether USA is better at mech or Germany, thanks in advance

Reply to
workaholic

Dear workaholic:

Are you asking who is better at engineering, who is better at building, or who has work?

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

What I want to know is who has a strong research strength, USA or Germany. Thanks in advance

Reply to
workaholic

Germany has better government funded research. USA has better private/industry funded research.

Getting things into production? USA

Reply to
Harry Andreas

In terms of sheer volume of research, USA. DARPA, DOE, DOD, NASA, USDA, etc., etc., etc. Not to mention all the private companies (think medical, pharma, energy, defense, consumer products, etc.)

Reply to
ms

snipped-for-privacy@computer.org (Harry Andreas) wrote in news:andreas-1608071009250001 @147.16.85.59:

Yes, notice the incredible advantage that the USA has in automotive manufacturing compared with Germany.

And of course, machine tools.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock

I don't know that it was evident you were kidding.

It found it particularly interesting that a German company would buy the company that would "fire the engineers and start production".

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Cherry-picking one datapoint at one particulat time is intellectually dishonest.

Are you by any chance a politician?

Reply to
Harry Andreas

snipped-for-privacy@computer.org (Harry Andreas) wrote in news:andreas-1708071029120001@147.16.85.59:

Leaving out my second example rather destroys that argument.

Anyway, when would you date the decline of the American automotive industry wrt the German one? I'd say that some time in the sixties the German's started to set their own agenda, and by the nineties there was no question that German (and Japanese) manufacturers were far more capable of satisfying American customers requirements, and innovating, than the Big 3. And since then ... So is 40 years a 'particular time'?

No I'm an engineer. Do you live under a bridge?

Cheers

Greg

Reply to
Greg Locock

You're still being disingenuous. The guy asked about research in general. He did not ask about one field of research.

I gave my opinion of the general state of engineering and research. You tried to retort with one specific industry. One industry does not satisfy a general case.

I could have mentioned aerospace or microelectronics or any of a host of other fields in which the USA are undisputed world leaders. But I chose to keep my answer general for a general question.

If you are proposing that automobile manufacturing satisfies the case for the general state of engineering in the US? If so, I have a bridge to sell you and it's not in Minneapolis.

Reply to
Harry Andreas

snipped-for-privacy@computer.org (Harry Andreas) wrote in news:andreas-2008071010230001@147.16.85.59:

And you are still lying because you cut out one of the two examples I gave,

So, no points, punk.

Reply to
Greg Locock

snipped-for-privacy@computer.org (Harry Andreas) wrote in news:andreas-2008071010230001@147.16.85.59:

I sent an excessively rude response to this note, for which I apologise.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock