curious newbie

Anyone know of a good website on metallurgy, with good simple and clear explanations of metals and it's compositions, properties, etc.?
Thanks all,
Alex

Alex:
There are some good commercial web sites such as
The A to Z of Materials, www.azom.com
Key to Metals (other than steels), www.key-to-metals.com (See articles)
Key to Steel, www.key-to-steel.com (See articles)
There also are noncommercial sites such as
Materials Science and Technology Online, http://mst-online.nsu.edu
Matter, www.matter.org.uk
Exploring Materials Engineering, www.engr.sjsu.edu/WofMatE/
Discovering Materials Science and Engineering, http://www.mse.cornell.edu/materials_science_discovering/index.html
Pittsburgh Pete ----------------- DISCLAIMER
Note: It is understood that this material is intended for general information only and should not be used in relation to any specific application without independent examination and verification of its applicability and suitability by professionally qualified personnel. Those making use thereof or relying thereon assume all risk and liability arising from such use or reliance.

Excellent, thanks! I will check these sites and do some reading. I got into buying woodworking handtools such as chisels and handplanes. depending upon the content of the steel blade is how long it will hold an edge, and as well, how easy or hard it is to sharpen. Example, Sweden is famous for it's tool steel, Austria is not. So, I have one Sandvick chisel and a set of Stubai chisels. The Sandvick (Sweden) is very hard to sharpen and leaves gummy black streaks in the abrasive paper (glued to glass, using a honing guide), the Stubai's (Austria) are super easy to sharpen and leave a lighter color of gray dust, supposedly this is much better and it's the type off steel that will hold an edge longer, as in Japanese handmade, laminated chisels and plane blades.
Alex
http://www.gowelding.com/met /
Have fun John