guitar strings ?? & piano

After being played for some time most guitar strings sound dull and when replaced with new ones they sound brighter and louder. My theory is that
after a string is played for a while it gets stretched and has to be retuned. This work hardens the string and makes it a bit thinner. Guitarists say that it's dirt, sweat and oil form the skin that causes the problem. I'm not into piano but IIRC correctly they get tuned once twice a year and strings are only replaced if they break. One reason might be that they are struck with a soft mallet. I'm intesested in the sience behind this. tnx
--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Interesting question. I side with the guitarists. Dirt, oil, & skin epithelials become attached to the strings and the added mass changes the harmonics of the string. (MHO)
--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur