Metalliferous question

I want to make some L shaped attachments to secure fish hooks to so that they point upwards, hooking the fish in the roof of the mouth. Lead head jigs do very well for this, and they make it easy to take the hook out and release the fish so that it survives. I also want to make some T shaped standoffs for crappie hooks that will keep the hook away from the downline and tangling.

What do you think would work? Piano wire? Guitar strings? Just go get a couple and try it? Is there any special name or type of VERY thin rods that keep their springiness, yet allow bending? What is the smallest SS Tig rod available?

BTW, a friend of mine's Dad was the one who invented and patented the rotating bass hook. He was from Oklahoma. But danged if I can pull his name out of my grey matter. The hooks were known for years by his name, "(insert his real name here) hooks", and Eagle Claw used the term for years after they got the patent, and the name became generic to the twisting bass hook that would hook up with more bass. I think she still gets royalty checks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" fired this volley in news:jvp034$g8s$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Was that the Kahle hook? It has a weighted cylinder on the hook shank.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Steve B" fired this volley in news:jvp034$g8s$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Nah... not Kahle, I don't think. Not all have that weight. Their primary feature is an offset curve that causes the hook to spin when being set.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

For what type of fishing? I like wide flat plastics like Curly Buzz Frogs, and Ribbed Flipping Grubs because the plastic helps orient the hook.

The crappie spreaders are made with stainless steel spring wire. My uncle and I used to twist them up on the spot as needed when fishing rock piles for perch out from Marblehead. You can order it anysize you want. You may even be able to buy it at craft stores.

Which one? Excalibur by Heddon? Tru-Turn by TTI? Cam Action by Eagle Claw?

The Cam Action hook came out before the Tru-Turn? Really? I'll have to ask TJ or Ron over at TTI about that.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

How fancy do you want to get?

Hit

and you will find what you need to make anything you like. Wire, premade and DIY stuff.

You would be foolish to make the lears though. They sell for less than the wire and labor to make them.

I make my own spinner baits, jigs, crappie harnesses and more.

Reply to
Steve W.