Bending metal part

> I am currently baffled on how to bend or even make this part. Has anyone any ideas? >
> > -- > For full context, visit
covell on YouTube has some great videos on metalforming. He probably has some of the best approaches you could try for one-off shaping. His methods also show how to make forms and jigs for small production runs. There is another guy on YouTube who seems to do mostly automotive related work that has some great tips on forming sheet metal as well, but I can't remember the name of his channel. If I think of it later I'll post it.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Make it Kustom is the other channel I was thinking of.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Make it Kustom is the other channel I was thinking of.
----------------------
Matching the form looks like it would require a very expensive die set, or simpler linear bending plus skilled welding to attach the ends. Matching the function might be simpler if you can square the ends, then it's a job for a press or finger brake.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
I didn't really study the OPs image much, but Ron makes some pretty decent shapes using MDF and other easy to work with material for forms. Make It Custom often makes some free hand forms from steel.
A long long time ago when I was relatively new to this group I needed a mounting plate to recess a photo electric emitter and sensor in a walkway to reduce wear on the lens surfaces from casual traffic. Upon some guidance from this group I made a punch and die free hand from A36 with a drill, jigsaw, bench grinder, and Dremel(*) tool. I would set the die inside of an aluminum electrical cover plate, and press the punch down with my hydraulic press aligning the parts by eye. This created a nicely centered rectangular recess in the plate. I then drilled a hole to snap in the emitter or sensor. It last for many years working as pass through counters in a fairly busy port of entry. My biggest issue was protecting the electronics. Not the lenses. People (mostly their clothing) did brush the plates, but the wear on the lens did not degrade them enough to be an issue. If I had left them proud on a flat plate I am 100% certain it would have been an issue. Anyway, my admittedly simpler punch and die were hand made with materials I had laying around.
Any of the methods suggested may work for a one off part.
(*
) That was before I learned that as machine tools go Dremel tools are pretty terrible compared to even a cheap proper rotary hand-piece flex-shaft tool.
Reply to
Bob La Londe