Re: "Newbie" Resources (for the long hau and lots of questionsl)

jbuch Obsolesence in ou field is a novelty. For eg Steel Castings Handbook by ASM 6th edition is 1995 publication and there has been no new
edition published. I am sure lot of new applications and technologies can be incorporated or illustrated, but we still continue to refer the old edition.
I quite agree with you that formal methods of learning cannot be substituted, though these latest advances in communication makes it possible for us to communicate. Quite often I find that no efforts are made by the questioner before putting it in any forum It is like an assignment being done at somebody's experience and efforts. Perhaps this harsh stand by me dissuades the post graduate students to work with me for their projects. I believe they have got into a post graduate program for the sake of learning and not earning a degree which is always there at the end.