separating fused metal

i know this will lack a lot of important details so i'll just put the
question at the bottom....
let's suppose there is a bike frame with a seatpost stuck in it.
the post is aluminum and the frame is made of steel.
the post will not budge an hair...even when the post is clamped in a
vice and almost crushed...and the frame twisted from side to side.
IF galling has occured, and the metals are separated, will one metal
end up taking peices of the other metal with it when the bond/fuse is
broken?
are there types of fusing of metals where there is no damage to either
metal when they are finally separtated?
thanks in advance,
thecontact_509
Tried packing the joint in dry ice yet? ;) With temperature aluminum expands and contracts more than steel.
When I was a kid a friend's dad got a 300 winchester magnum shell stuck in the re-sizing die. He was beside himself, brand new gun brand new everything one of the first things he did was load some shells. LOL:) He had tried all the stuff sold to take care of the problem when me and his son wondered about using temperature. Since the freezer didn't work, we looked it up in the school library.
We just needed more cold. :) A small hunk of dry ice from the local grocery store (old days right?;) did the trick. We balanced the whole works on the dry-ice, brass-butt down for 30 seconds(?) and lifted it to re-positon/re-balance it and the brass fell out. :)
It was so anti-climatic it was funny :) since the whole weekend and many trips across town were spent on this project.
I don't know but see it as Yes since that's what galling is? A sort of "cold welding together" of the metals?
Depends on your definition of "no damage" I guess. :/
Alvin in AZ
Reply to
alvinj
If the parts are held together by thermal contraction i.e. shrink fitting (not the case in your example) then they can potentially be separated without damage.
Reply to
David Deuchar

Site Timeline