Why Citric Acid?

I understand citric acid is being used as a wash for gold ore and blacksands, before leaching. Anyone know what it does that HCL can't???
One fellow says it can remove sulphides, but I thought only roasting could accomplish that?
RO

IIRC it's because of the environmental laws in the books. HCl is harder to dispose of "legally" than citric acid is. TM
-- Toadmonkey: "Now now. Brain popping and world crashing may be hazardous to ones perception of reality. Very dangerous business that can lead to madness or something worse for some, truth."
Remove "3+4" from addy before replying
To add to the "stupid government regulations list", we use evaporative coolers (essentially giant car radiators) at work. We buy potable water from the city to spray down the outside of the coolers in hot weather for improved cooling. We are no longer able to allow the water run off into the back forty as it is now "industrial waste". We can drink it, but can't pour it out on the back lawn to keep it green in the summer.
I am still waiting to see if the bright ass from the ministry realizes if this is no different from when it rains on the coolers and will force us to collect and "dispose" of the water properly...
wrote:

could
ones perception of reality.

some, truth."