1/8" flexible drive shaft material

The old measuring wheel shaft finally broke the flexible section that makes the 90 from the wheel hub where it is brazed up the shaft to the extension rod that goes to the clicker/counter on the handle.

It's 1/8" diameter tightly wound flexible shaft section about 10-12" long. I've not found anything resembling it to try to repair the wheel...anybody have any ideas for source?

This is not an encased shaft like a speedo cable...I'll see if can get a decent pic and post on one of the hosting sites here later on...

For context, here's a similar-style wheel although not the one I have but same size. That seems to have a gearbox on the hub; this one just runs the flex shaft up the inside handle making the 90 at the bottom end...

Reply to
dpb

String trimmer driveshaft?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Speedo cable core springs to mind, IIRC my Austin Healey Sprite used

1/8" diameter core.
Reply to
David Billington

Some places sell it by the foot / meter. I know this place does:

Reply to
Trumble

Or in the worst case just buy a bicycle meter.

They all work by counting the wheel revolutions and calculate distance/speed by the circumference of the wheel which can be selected during the initial set up. Most of them include instructions about how to measure the circumference of the wheel and how to enter that into the meter.

Reply to
John B.
1/8 Spring wire or music wire.

The old measuring wheel shaft finally broke the flexible section that makes the 90 from the wheel hub where it is brazed up the shaft to the extension rod that goes to the clicker/counter on the handle.

It's 1/8" diameter tightly wound flexible shaft section about 10-12" long. I've not found anything resembling it to try to repair the wheel...anybody have any ideas for source?

This is not an encased shaft like a speedo cable...I'll see if can get a decent pic and post on one of the hosting sites here later on...

For context, here's a similar-style wheel although not the one I have but same size. That seems to have a gearbox on the hub; this one just runs the flex shaft up the inside handle making the 90 at the bottom end...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If you don't find a suitable replacement, there is a low-cost replacement available from HF for ten bucks. I've used one for years, broke it once, superglued it back together, and still use it.

Larry Jaques

On 08/01/2017 8:14 AM, Larry Jaques wrote: ...

The small-diameter wheels don't work in the field well at all...measuring across native grass pasture ground for haying acreages...why is a long story related to the fact if is in CRP (Conservation Reserve Program) and so there are all kinds of rules associated with maintaining habitat one of which is can only hay half of acreage any given year...

Reply to
dpb

Well, I stand corrected--the cable itself actually is the speedo cable; I didn't remember that's the what the transmission cable really is seeing only the square end adapter so often rather than the cable itself...

So, I got a repair kit to chop a section off of for the cable; problem now is finding an inline splice to splice to the rod section...all the cable splices in town are the cable loop side-by-side style that won't work well for this application. My Nico-press sleeves for smooth wire aren't large-enough diameter...anybody know a source for small quantities?

I was planning to repurpose the end adapter that came with the repair kit but whacking off the close end but it's too short to use as a splice...

Reply to
dpb

Sorry, I'd like to help but my source for fittings I can't buy is my lathe, which is presently making 3/8-16 bolts with short 0.400" dia shanks cut from the hex head.

You can do limited turning with the stock chucked in a drill press and the drill or lathe bit in a vise on the table.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Well, I stand corrected--the cable itself actually is the speedo cable; I didn't remember that's the what the transmission cable really is seeing only the square end adapter so often rather than the cable itself...

So, I got a repair kit to chop a section off of for the cable; problem now is finding an inline splice to splice to the rod section...all the cable splices in town are the cable loop side-by-side style that won't work well for this application. My Nico-press sleeves for smooth wire aren't large-enough diameter...anybody know a source for small quantities?

**** Drill out a Nico-Press? Got a lathe? Make one?

Nico-Press. Now there is something I haven't heard in a long time. We used to use Nico-Press sleeves on copper clad steel open wire back when I worked for Arizona Telephone company. I think I still have a Nico-Press crimper in my tool box.

Reply to
Bob La Londe