Buffalo blower parts &?????

I need a final drive gear for a very old Buffalo hand blower (approx 12"). It is a helical gear, 1-1/8" dia. X 1/2" thick with a 1/2" bore. I haven't determined the pitch yet. It has a cylindrical keyway for about a 1/8" rod. It is magnetic, so I think it is steel. Anyone know of any place where this gear may be obtained? Buffalo or otherwise. I know how to fix it, (not many teeth are bad) but I would rather get a new one, and have the vender identified, and available. It works but is noisy as heck (about 5 times per crank revolution) and has a limited life. . . . .Incidentally, out of curiousity. . .When I purchased the blower, it came with a 11" wheel, 5/8" flat rim, and has a 3" cylindrical hub that is bored and threaded on the outside for a set screw. And is center bored for a

1/2" shaft, same as for the hand crank. This hub has, on the inside, (about 2.5 "dia. X 1" deep), a sawtooth set of groves, longitutionally alligned with the shaft, set up for some type of a ratchet. The outer rim of this wheel is flat, as for a belt. Now, this blower does have its separate, adjustable, counterbalanced, hand crank. There was no ratcheting mechanism when I obtained the blower, and there is no hand crank handle on the wheel, or a place for one. I do believe both the hand crank and the wheel could be both mounted on the shaft at the same time. The handle would have to poke through the spokes. I'm wondering if the wheel is to make the blower free wheeling in one direction, when power driven????? any ideas ???? . . . thanks to one and all who may be of assistance.
Reply to
charles

Charles,

As far as I'm aware, Buffalo has been out of business for many years. Therefore, short of having a new gear custom made, I'll be amazed if you'll find a new part, unless it's a "generic" gear.

I have several of these, and it sounds like yours is similar or even identical to one of mine. I haven't dug it outta the closet in a while so I'm going from memory.

But it sounds like you have the pieces to a lever driven forge. It incorporated a belt driven flywheel which in turn drove the blower. That way you could get a leg up on your blowing by getting it spinning, then momentarily turn your attention to something else. It is very picturesque and is reminiscent of a spinning wheel.

On mine, the flywheel has a centrifugal clutch mechanism that jumps out when inertia overcomes the spring mechanism, and grabs the inner face of the flywheel.

Do you have a model number on it anywhere?

Reply to
vtuck

****************** There are no model numbers on either half of the scroll case, or either half of the gear housing. The adjustable hand crank has 'No 6' raised on the pipe type tee where it attaches to the drive shaft. And the hand crank adjustable counterweight (2" dia X 1") has 'No-7' raised on it. The impeller is 10 inches diameter, and the scroll cage is 13.5" in diameter. On the gear housing, there is a raised arrow indicating counterclockwise rotation of the crank. Eyeball measuring says the pitch of the small helical gear is an exact 45 degrees. The pulley-flywheel is 13" dia. and weighs 8 pounds. I can visualize a hand crank engaging a centrifugal ratchet on the flywheel, which in turn is belted to the blower....that would work.. the flywheel and and blower could free wheel independent from the crank. Looking just like a spinning wheel. . . . . If you have one (the small gear) for sale, I am sure interested. thanks for your reply. . . charlie
Reply to
charles

I missed the early part of this, is your gear missing or broken? If the latter, maybe it can be repaired. If it's missing, maybe you can replace it with a stock gear, have you checked stock drive products or boston gear web pages?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

*********************** That's what I needed a vender location for gears......where I may find stock gears. thanks Grant.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz here's my original post zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I need a final drive gear for a very old Buffalo hand blower (approx 12"). It is a helical gear, 1-1/8" dia. X 1/2" thick with a 1/2" bore. I haven't determined the pitch yet. It has a cylindrical keyway for about a 1/8" rod. It is magnetic, so I think it is steel. Anyone know of any place where this gear may be obtained? Buffalo or otherwise. I know how to fix it, (not many teeth are bad) but I would rather get a new one, and have the vender identified, and available. It works but is noisy as heck (about 5 times per crank revolution) and has a limited life. . . . .Incidentally, out of curiousity. . .When I purchased the blower, it came with a 11" wheel, 5/8" flat rim, and has a 3" cylindrical hub that is bored and threaded on the outside for a set screw. And is center bored for a 1/2" shaft, same as for the hand crank. This hub has, on the inside, (about 2.5 "dia. X 1" deep), a sawtooth set of groves, longitutionally alligned with the shaft, set up for some type of a ratchet. The outer rim of this wheel is flat, as for a belt. Now, this blower does have its separate, adjustable, counterbalanced, hand crank. There was no ratcheting mechanism when I obtained the blower, and there is no hand crank handle on the wheel, or a place for one. I do believe both the hand crank and the wheel could be both mounted on the shaft at the same time. The handle would have to poke through the spokes. I'm wondering if the wheel is to make the blower free wheeling in one direction, when power driven????? any ideas ???? . . . thanks to one and all who may be of assistance. ...
Reply to
charles