15 hp 3P motor run on 10 HP Desco Panel?

Please forgive my ignorance but in the interest of possibly saving money, can I use the 15 HP motor I already have with my 10HP Desco panel without too much adverse consequence? The idler is a 208V "soft start" type. I'd be willing to do a pony motor start if that is an issue with such a setup What consequences do you foresee in terms of voltage/amp output and heat if any? I am trying to run a 3 HP Monarch lathe. I may have to run my Brown and Sharp mill also although not necessarily simultaneously. All advise and perspectives greatly appreciated.

Reply to
trg-s338

You could maybe start it up with primary resistors but it's really not a good idea. Get a smaller motor on eBay, 3 - 5 HP to suit the lathe.

Reply to
N Morrison

What is a Desco panel ? Context would seem to indicate a phase convertor of Variable Frequency Drive.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

or of Variable Frequency

The Desco panel is just one of the generic "build your own RPC" converter kits seen on eBay.

Reply to
trg-s338

Assuming the RPC uses a 3-Phase motor of 10 HP and other kit components are judicioulsy chosen, it may start and run a 15 HP motor. Don't expect the same snappy start you get with motors of 10 HP or less though. Sluggish starting might be corrected with additional electrolytic start capacitors wired in parallel with existings ones. Generally speaking, long starting intervals of over 1 second indicate insufficient start capacitance. The same long start can possibly draw enough current to trip cercuit breakers,

If the Desco panel is merely a static phase convertor it may not start a 15 HP load.

See some RPC articles in Metal Web News for more information.