1HP? 3 HP? Air Compressor Pump

I recently dragged a very nice old Campbell-Hausfield 30 gal compressor out of the trash. It has a ASTM tank in good shape and a smooth-running Doerr motor rated at 1 HP 17.8 amp. There is a multigroove belt connecting the motor to the flywheel of the pump. Unfortunately, someone had removed the cylinders and head from the pump, leaving everything else, including pistons and con rods still attached to the crank in the crankcase. Without the cylinders and head I can't repair it. Anyone have a scrap C-H compressor with a thrown rod? Let's talk. The manifold between the motor and compressor is cast iron, and looks exactly like that on some Speedaire compressors.

The real purpose of the post was trying to determine the size of a replacement pump, assuming I can't fix the partial one on there. I have a Craftsman 30 gal compressor in one of my shops (with the aluminum DeVilbiss pump) that has a motor rated 3 HP, 15 amp. Clearly either the Craftsman motor is very overrated, or the Doerr is very conservatively rated. Knowing Sears, I'm pretty sure I know the answer :-) I've seen C-H cast iron pumps on Ebay listed as 1-5 HP and others listed as 4-7 HP, both spec'd at 10.5 SCFM @ 90 psi. Will either of these pumps work with my Doerr motor? I would appreciate some thoughts based on personal knowledge/experience. Thanks.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love America

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

My rule of thumb is a single-stage compressor will deliver 6.2 - 6.4 SCFM at 90 PSI with a 2 Hp. motor. So, 10.5 CFM comes out to about 3.25 Hp. So, the 3 Hp motor should be able to turn it, if you go to a slightly smaller motor pulley.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Your 1 hp motor can run *any* air pump -- it just won't run it at its rated speed. Getting a slightly bigger pump is a good idea, then you can pulley it down to 1 hp until you (inevitably) find a real good deal on a bigger motor.

GWE

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin