2 stage pump repair

The last few days have been wood splittin' season.The pump on the splitter is two stage, when it hits a tuff spot it down shifts and moves half speed with double power. ON a tuff one just an hour ago we heard a loud click and instead of down shifting there was no pressure at all. Pounded that piece of wood off with a BFH and it worked normal. That is until the next piece that kicked it down - a loud click and then no pressure at all.

I know nothing about these pumps. What's the likely failure here?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

´Pressure sensing valve´ in your pump, I´d wager.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Seconded from symptoms. It either tries to go to Second Stage and the valve doesn't shift properly...

Or the pump part has problems and it did down-shift but there's nothing there. And logic says there should be a little plugged 1/8" test port to hook a gauge to and see if it's that.

Meaning, you do a little diagnosing (using the instructions out of the Repair Manual you downloaded off the maker's website) and check to make sure it isn't the cheap part that's broken and an easy fix before you start yanking the whole pump for a full rebuild.

Find out the make and model of the pump, then call your local Good Auto Parts that also handles industrial hydraulics, or Forklift/Ag Implement place, or Grainger/McMaster-Carr/Northern Tool... and they'll go "Oh, that! - C'mon Down, they're $10, I've got a dozen."

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human