3 speed blower

I'm installing a replacement blower fan on my homemade AC system.

There are three hot wires on this motor for low,med, and high speed. In testing the three speeds on the blower motor, I accidently let one of the unused wires touch my metal table - hard ground. Now I got a one speed - high - motor.

Is my F-up repairable? How does a motor like this work to get different speeds?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Does it have a run capacitor?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

it has a start cap.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

No, it is a phase shift capacitor that is needed to make the motor run. Always in the circuit. The slower speed are connected to additional motor windings that add inductance to the motor and reduce the current, slowing the motor. High speed only means the additional windings are no longer connected to the motor. Sorry.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Check out this youtube

Not technically correct, but will give you a trouble shooting method. I would guess if you opened the motor up, you will see chard windings. But maybe a connection has been burned open, and maybe fixable.

Reply to
fhababorbitz

maybe a connection has been burned open, and maybe fixable.

Thanks for that. Looks like its not worth trying to repair.

I got AC running again with this blower on HI and paper in the blower to keep the CFM down. But, its very noisy and SWMBO is NOT happy. I'm looking for another old fan blower. Anybody care to ship me one? I need a smaller unit and variable speed.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

maybe a connection has been burned open, and maybe fixable.

I bought a replacement motor on Ebay a couple of years ago. It was from a guy that strips out old fans for the motors, etc. Worked fine when I got it and still running fine today. See what's available

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

But maybe a connection has been burned open, and maybe fixable.

Home built? I went to NDSSS back in 74-76 for refrigeration. Worked for Tr ane in LaCrosse WI. as lab tech. If you ever need to replace your system, and want to zone control, look int o mini split. You can install these your self. They come with hose kits t hat have the quick connect piercing connectors, and precharge. Look for on e with an inverter as these will slow the compressor down to keep removing humidity once the temperature set point is reached. They use R410a, so you don't need a ECO ticket. They come in 3/4, 1, 1.5, and 2 ton sizes. There's many sellers on ebay, keywords (mini split inverter). Look for one with the install kit. But you do have the inside package that SHMBO (and PKT, my wife's one too) may not want to see.

Reply to
fhababorbitz

in LaCrosse WI. as lab tech.

mini split. You can install these your self. They come with hose kits that have the quick connect piercing connectors, and precharge. Look for one with an inverter as these will slow the compressor down to keep removing humidity once the temperature set point is reached. They use R410a, so you don't need a ECO ticket. They come in 3/4, 1, 1.5, and

2 ton sizes.

with the install kit. But you do have the inside package that SHMBO (and PKT, my wife's one too) may not want to see.

I got a precharged compressor and A coil at wholesale from Coldparts Inc. 20 years ago for about $400. My home has hot water heat so i built a little plenum in the basment to blow air in one spot, then a wild return. Silver soldered the lines then used an old refrigerator compressor to pull it down. Works great, just need a new blower, bearings out on the old one.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Trane in LaCrosse WI. as lab tech. >If you ever need to replace your system , and want to zone control, look into mini split. You can install these you r self. They come with hose kits that have the quick connect piercing conne ctors, and precharge. Look for one with an inverter as these will slow the compressor down to keep removing humidity once the temperature set point is reached. They use R410a, so you don't need a ECO ticket. They come in 3/4, 1, 1.5, and 2 ton sizes. >There's many sellers on ebay, keywords (mini spl it inverter). Look for one with the install kit. But you do have the inside package that SHMBO (and PKT, my wife's one too) may not want to see. I got a precharged compressor and A coil at wholesale from Coldparts Inc. 20 yea rs ago for about $400. My home has hot water heat so i built a little plenu m in the basment to blow air in one spot, then a wild return. Silver solder ed the lines then used an old refrigerator compressor to pull it down. Work s great, just need a new blower, bearings out on the old one. karl

So, if the bearings in the old blower are accessible, replace the bearings. I've done sleeve bearings quite a number of times, even the gouging that the local hardware does for replacement Oilite or bronze sleeves isn't that bad. Just takes a stepped driver, a few minutes work on the lathe.

If you've got ball bearings you'll need to get them out to see what you hav e. Grainger, MSC, local bearing place for replacements.

My dad used to oil up the sleeves on his furnace blower once a year, lasted for 40 years until they replaced the furnace with a fancy thing. Had to re place the shaft and bearings one time, when we moved in, had probably been in there at least 20 years already. Previous owners never lubed anything a nd never replaced the filter.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I took the blower apart today and found the motor model and number. Then shopped fleabay and have one on the way for $40 plus $15 ship.

Got the noisy one running to keep the house cool till it comes next week.

Reply to
Karl Townsend