96 Chevy Truck blower motor

Of course my blower motor goes out during a major ice storm. It is a

96 Chevy truck Silverado. Is this a hard job? I know most behicles it is pretty easy but I have not had time to read up on what is involved on this truck.

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
stryped

How hard is hard? It isn't really all that tougher than, say, rebuilding a Tecumseh carburettor.

Back in the old days you had to pull a fender to get at two of the bolts... Hope GM changed that ... doesn't make it harder, just more annoying.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Some guys pulled a fender, others made an access hole in the inner fender. Steve

Reply to
Up North

I guess that is what I was getting at, is it a simple unbolting of the case under the dash or do you have to take half the truck apart?

Reply to
stryped

And most people left out those two bolts when they put it back together....

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

I guess that is what I was getting at, is it a simple unbolting of the case under the dash or do you have to take half the truck apart?

It's easy. Open the passenger side door, look just under the dash.

Reply to
Edwin Lester

Be sure it's actually the blower motor thats bad before you yank it apart.

There should be power going to it with both the ignition, and blower switches on. Try all the different speed positions if you haven't already. It just might work on 'high' only, as all the resistors are then out of the picture.

If not, look at (1) it's fuse, (2) the fan speed resistors and (3) the blower switch. Always check the simple stuff first.

I think if it were mine and it turned out to be something difficult to fix like the switch, and if I lived in cold country, I'd probably cobble up a (fused!) 'hot wire' and live with the fan motor running full bore till the weather improves.

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik