Furnace Blower Motor

Towards the end of the last heating season, the blower motor in the shop furnace started acting up. It would not self-start every time, but would happily go with a slight nudge. In aniticipation of this season, I pulled it out expecting to find a worn bearing or shaft or bad coil, but everything looks ok. No radial play in the shaft (some axial slop, but I don't see any wear anywhere, so I assume it's normal) No dark coils, no rub marks on the stator or armature.

It's a dead simple shaded pole induction motor, 1/8 hp, 1050 rpm. What else could go wrong with this sort of motor? It's an oddball frame/mount, so replacing it is going to be a PITA and likely more money than is worth spending on the furnace. (It's an old mobile home furnace)

Any ideas?

Reply to
Pete Snell

You might check an RV place for a replacement - they have all sorts of oddball trailer-y stuff. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Did you blow the dust and lint out of the motor? A little really thin oil to the bearings?

Can you completely disassemble the motor to check for lint wound around the armature shaft next to the bearings?

Starting torque is so low, it doesn't take much to prevent it from starting.

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

Starter cap is bad?

Dave

Reply to
dcloss

If it's shaded pole it likely has no cap.

Reply to
clare

Have you checked prices at a local rewinding shop for repairs? It's a dying art, so hurry!

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, there was some oily lint inside, which I initially thought might be the problem, but cleaning it didn't seem to make a difference. Could a bit of oil behind the copper 'shades' cause any problems? I'll hose it out with some contact cleaner before re-assembling it.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

Right. No cap or contactor.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

On the way home I'm going to drop into a spot that fixes motors to see what options there are. I don't think there is any problem with the windings or stator, but I don't know for sure. The last time I dropped a motor off for repair (at a different spot) was an unhappy experience for me. Maybe this place'll be different

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

A film of sticky residue leftover from old oil can create enough friction to prevent starting, particularly if a small motor has been over-oiled in the past.

Some old oils, such as 3-in-1, that will eventually dry out from even moderate heat, leave a very sticky residue, and small motors can appear to be fine when spun by hand, but the motor may still be unable to start reliably.

The bearings and shafts need to be washed thoroughly with a solvent that's capable of cutting thru the waxy residue. I generally use lacquer thinner, although a naptha solvent will most likely work well (wax & grease remover, cigarrette lighter fluid, etc). Stoddard solvent (aka WD40) will likely work, too.

A quick squirt of pushbutton-miracle-in-a-can won't do a good job. The motor may start fine that day, but likely be very unreliable in the near future.

To do a complete cleaning job, it's better to remove the rotor and briskly rub the bearing holes and rotor shaft areas with swabs or similar applicator.. I use white cleaning materials so it's easier to see when the yellow waxy residue has been removed.

If the motor has wool felt-type material in the bearing lubricators, they should be soaked and wicked-out with dry paper towels or cloth (saturate the wick then press a highly absorbant material against the wick to draw out the nasty old residue). Otherwise, the old waxy crud in the wicks will contaminate any new oil that's added. Some motors have a foam-like material for the oilers, and that material is likely to crumble and fall out.

I've found out that the old waxy residue in wicks will make the new oil sticky, and have had to then perform the saturate-and-wick-out of the old crud, then reassemble the motor.

After a complete cleanout of the old oil, the small motors I've cleaned have had enough torque to be able to spin up a fan blade or small centrifugal blower wheels.. and continue to operate reliably.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

No, WD-40 is NOT Stoddard solvent.

WD-40, for little things like that, is more like aerosol tar.

I once acquired an old Model 13 or so teletype; 60 WPM with a 60 mA current loop. It was all dusty, so I sprayed it down with WD-40. The next day, it was so gummed up, I wound up disassembling it and hand cleaning about a hundred parts individually.

Stoddard, maybe - I just looked it up, and it's aliphatic hydrocarbons up to about C10, AKA liquid paraffin.

WD-40 is used to keep your handsaw from rusting in the shed.

For something like sleeves on a shaded-pole fan motor, I might even use contact cleaner or potentiometer cleaner; them maybe a little sewing machine oil.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I find that soaking the wool felt in VMP Naptha plus a little Acetone for a few days or a week works. I find Naptha works better than stoddard solvent (sold as paint thinner).

I would not soak the windings in any such solvent, although wiping the surfaces and allowing the assembly to dry is OK.

One can often replace the wool felt, but I would not attempt this if it requires unbending and rebending metal tabs.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I live in a mobile home. I beat some more life out of my last blower motor. Dissemble it, and clean out the berrings, bushings, etc. With some solvent and cotton swabs "Q tips". Relube with zoom spout turbine oil. I could have used a puff of graphite, I guess. mixed with the oil. Try not to get the graphite on things electrical.

Eventually, I went to my HVAC parts house, and bought another motor. Please write back, and let us know what works for you. And what doesn't work.

If the blower wheel is dusty, it will help to clean that also (Remove from motor, wash with garden hose and nylon brush, and then dry overnight).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Unlikely. Brake cleaner does a resonable job.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had good luck with brake cleaner spray. Ether starting spray is also good. If somewhat explosive.

Lube with "zoom spout turbine oil". Failing that, ND-20, or ND-30 is good. Sewing machine or three in one oils tend to dry out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ever try to clock one of them? They don't seem to like 90 wpm too much, The mark 3 28 series you could run at 110 with no problems.

I would use electro clean that is made to clean motors. Then oil the bearings with a light oil. is 3 in 1 still available?

John

Reply to
John

I took one apart for a small fan and found that there was enough slop in the bolt holes that held the brackets for the rotor that it affected how the motor ran. I played with it a bit to get it perfectly centered and after that it ran well.

Reply to
Denis G.

Yes, and it was definitely 60 WPM. I had to know exactly the baud rate so that it could send the baudot code with the right timing. It was fascinating watching it receive serial characters and translate it into one of 31 typebars, mechanically. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks for all the replies. I cleaned the bearings and wicks with Acetone, and wiped down the stator and pole surfaces as well. Polished the bearing surfaces of the shaft with 1200 grit emery paper, and oiled the wicks with some good small motor oil. All that helped a little but the problem is still there.

While playing around with the motor, I discovered there is a 'sweet spot' (sour spot?) where the motor will never start. 180° from there, it starts about 50% of the time. At other positions it seems to start 100% of the time. I suspect the fan is slightly out of balance, and the 'sour spot' is where it settles most frequently when it stops. Maybe a carefully placed small weight (supermagnet?) will keep it from stopping at that spot. ;-)

Not sure where to go from here, but I'll take it to work on Monday and see if the Tech in electrical engineering has any ideas.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell