507 mechanical movements as PDF

Hi!

When you ever had one of those books in your hand, showing the most weird linkage and gears to make a movement you will never need... until you desperately need one and forgot how it worked.

Here is a link to an old book (1871):

Fun to read and sometimes works as a puzzle if you just look at the pictures and try to figure out how they work.

You'll find other books there worth reading.

Enjoy! Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Thanks for the pointer.

is another source for interesting stuff. The old out of copyright stuff is downloadable. Sadly as graphics and not ocr'd.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Now that's a bugger, It's one of the books I'm selling in my Amazon bookstore. Oh well excrement happens.

Gregg

The Gravel Pit A Visual Diary of an Arts Metalcaster. Tips techniques and tools you can make or use to cast metal at home.

greggspen

I would not think this would hurt you. I have many ebooks but really like paper, binding, and ink in hand. Reading a book is not the same as reading a computer screen. I don't have a computer in the bathroom or hanging over the bed.

It might pique one's interest.

In a perfect world, I'd get a pdf with every book I buy. Having 1000's of them, some that likely never will be relevent again (computer books, ect), I would gladly recycle them if I could refer to the pdf if ever needed them in the future. It would also make searching for information at hand easier. JMHO,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Cool. I got this mechanism at a trade show last week (the parts were being injection molded and assembled by a robot):

All three gears mesh together and turn smoothly.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I like your attitude. As a visual arts student and book lover I find it hard to believe that there will be a time when paper books will become obsolete. There are subtle qualities to reading something on paper that a computer screen or PDA just can't replace. Yet. I hope the future won't prove me wrong. I like the idea of a searchable PDF of every book however, it wouldn't be a difficult thing to do. Gregg

Gregg

Reply to
greggspen

A real book? Printed on paper? A huge difference! I hate reading books on the screen, not the feel, not the smell, not the direct link reading brain (don't know why it is that way), no quick browsing, can't read where the sun shines, ... Anyhow, I do collect technical books that are in my field of interest (metal techniques, combustion engines) and chase for the real ones from which I do have (some) copies or have to go to the library to read in them.

Please keep on selling real books and don't dump them!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Hear Hear. I would be interested in any suggestions for books I can add to my inventory. I want to specialize in metal trades books with a curiosity/ hobbyists flavor. Especially interested in the lost arts of engineering like scraping and babbitting etc. As an aside I followed spehro's link above and that's about the coolest mechanism I've seen all day. Thanks for the show of support Gregg

greggspen

I would be one of your best customers. :-) Lathe work, milling, tool making, construction of tooling machines, grinders, whatever ... A bit like Lindsay with their reprints. But personally, I like them more on the theoretical side.

Could you tell me your shop-name on Amazon? Link?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Sure thing,

It's embedded in my blog at

I'm still working on getting a full inventory but I have the gingery series at the moment and things like "Machinery's Handbook". I'm going to do a proper scout through tomorrow and build it up a bit.

Cheers Gregg

P.S. My apologies, I didn't intend to Hijack this thread and turn it into a marketing session, but it has made me realise that a targeted online bookstore for metal hobbiests is a useful service. thanks.

Reply to
greggspen

Reply to
Mark F

It's a good book. My local library has a copy which I have read several times.

Reply to
woodworker88

I don't feel hijacked. Just a bit hurt. I think the Moltrecht would be a good compensation. ;-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I just now realized, that this book costs only 7.95 in your store ()

*Way* below my impulse-buy level for such books. 10 seconds browsing through and to the cash register we go ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Keep me on the Tree Killers List as well. Ive probably a half terabyte of ebooks..and still far prefer a paper book.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

there still IS something to be said for the printed hardcopy and properly bound.

The fact that its FAR easier onthe eyes than a screen and PDF is a good part of it and even laser printers are espensive to print out copies when the books themselves are available.

That having been said I already own a reprint of this one sold through Lee Valley tools

Brent Ottawa Canada

Reply to
Brent

You only kill trees if you waste the paper.

Although i'm somewhat bad for catalogs I dont think i can remember EVER throwing out a book. I've ALWAYS recycled elsewhere or stored or donated my books.

I was a FIEND for rainding the discard pile in my colleges electronics department (Books and sometimes electronics too) i've walked home with

40 pound backpacks before the next time i move my "to keep" college books I might need to kill a tree or 2 making a CRATE to allow it to move via dolly or shop crane =)

Brent Ottawa Canada

(5 cords per year tree killer for heat since the hydro utilities are deregulating and gouging)

Reply to
Brent

Lindsay sells them also.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I use them Both I like Lee valley being local and using Local printers but they have a big focus towards woodworking instead so the Lindsay selection is better that way

Reply to
Brent

On 6 May 2007 16:09:41 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Brent quickly quoth:

aMEN!

Yes, the economies of scale are at work there. That said, the book I bought 5 years ago for $7.95 from Canada now costs $13.50. (Thanks in great part to The Shrub.)

I picked up their 1800 Mechanical Movements and Devices book instead. They're great, aren't they?

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques