7/16 x 20 square nut

Title about says it. I need a 7/16 x 20 square nut.

Do I have to make my own? No joy at fastenall or mcmaster.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Looks to be a standard size lug nut.

If you're not too fussy about form or fit.

Jim Stewart

Jim Stewart

Tried your local hardware store ? How about the farm supply ?

Reply to
Snag

no, I need a square nut

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Well, that lets out all the nuts on this group. They were all rounded off, long ago. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Too bad i don't need a wing nut. There's lots of those here, both left and right.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

The root diameter is 25/64", do you have a 3/8" square nut to drill out?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

How many do you need?

Ignoramus22792

Yeah, if you can find any that still have decent threads. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I found 7 square nuts in the 7/16 nut box. But, all are 7/16 X 14 thread. I don't think I have ever seen square nuts with fine threads. Perhaps that why the normal sources don't have any.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Isn't it amazing how few seem to read the entire post before submitting some response. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

In my opinion, yes, you'll have to "roll your own". 7/16-20 is a(n) SAE thread, so it's highly unlikely to be found as a square nut. I would expect you'd find only USS threads in square nuts, if any at all.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

How about facing off the 'weld nut' features from their P/N 2011?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Just put it in your nut squeezer and make it a 14, Paul.

-- I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar and often convincing. -- Oscar Wilde

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I can't recall ever seeing a square nut in a fine thread, only coarse. Are you replacing existing?

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Yep. On my 8N tractor there are two nut keepers with square fine thread 7/16 nuts to bolt body to frame by the lower raditor. I guess I

*could* buy the whole frame piece. Not going to happen.

"Midas" added a couple more items to the 8N rebuild yesterday. While I have it apart I Midas well put in electronic ignition. And if the igintion is completely replaced I Midas well put a new carburator on too.

We painted the castings two days ago and I'm on final assembly.

Karl

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yup, sounds like you're going to make them, unless you have an 8N parts machine.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

What - no fuel injection??

Reply to
Rex

Did you know you can still drive a tractor on the public roads after losing your licence?

A guy I knew put a Ford flathead V8 on an 8N and then super charged it. Big turf tires and an early Ford front steering and suspension. He could pass folks on the highway on his way to the bar.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend