[Way OT:] Google *really* cares

On a whim this afternoon, I asked my router to tell me who was connected to my computer. I'd been 'off the air' for quite some time. The first time I asked, there wasn't anybody connected. A couple minutes later I saw that just Google was connected up.

"Funny" I thought. I'd had that address in my disallowed 'hosts' file for a couple weeks.

What gives? Why is Google connecting to my computer against my wishes?

When you all look at who is connected to your machines during idle time, do you also see Google poking around in your machines?

Thanks

--Winston

# # Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be: # "n 74.125.155.109" # # Use "?" to get help. #

# # The following results may also be obtained via: #

?showDetails=true&showARIN=false#

NetRange: 74.125.0.0 - 74.125.255.255 CIDR: 74.125.0.0/16 OriginAS: NetName: GOOGLE NetHandle: NET-74-125-0-0-1 Parent: NET-74-0-0-0-0 NetType: Direct Allocation RegDate: 2007-03-13 Updated: 2007-05-22 Ref:

OrgName: Google Inc. OrgId: GOGL Address: 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway City: Mountain View StateProv: CA PostalCode: 94043 Country: US RegDate: 2000-03-30 Updated: 2009-08-07 Ref:

OrgTechHandle: ZG39-ARIN OrgTechName: Google Inc OrgTechPhone: +1-650-253-0000 OrgTechEmail: snipped-for-privacy@google.com OrgTechRef:
# # ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use # available at:

Winston

?showDetails=true&showARIN=false> #

Kinda makes me wonder now ... because sometimes I see activity when there shouldn't be any . So tell me , how is that done , how can I see who is connected to my comps ? -- Snag Learning keeps you young !

Reply to
Snag

Once in a while I see activity when there shouldn't be any and I usually find a "leftover" MS-Word thread running in the background. I just kill 'em off at my leisure. They are also gone upon restart.

Reply to
Bill

(...)

Bring up the webpage built into your router.

Start your web browser up and substitute the address of your router in the address field. Ferinstance, some are at

in the menu structure will be a screen that shows you what other computers are connected to your machine. Ferinstance: http://192.168.0.1/internet_sessions.asp You can copy (CTRL-C) the addresses, ferinstance: 74.125.155.109 ...and then open a terminal session and paste 'em, (or just put the address into Google! :))

Terminal session (For Linux. For Windows? Don't know.):

whois 74.125.155.109

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

has a good set of basic tools you can use for free.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

and thisis hat I got by searching an unknown dns address with google . But what does this meaN ?

Reply to
Snag

Sorry, Snag? I didn't see an attachment or a paste.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

An MS-Word thread doing a network connection or just an orphan process eating cycles?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I screwed up , somehow hit send by mistake . The only active DNS 's on my router are all 192.168.1.XXX , which is all inside my intranet. I show the correct number of computers for what I have running as of right now . Funny thing , this comp (my desktop) doesn't show - and I know for sure what DNS number it is because I have it set up for a specific one on the router - as is my print/media server that my son has set up for a ventrilo server . I try to run pretty tight security , with firewalls and bot/adware/antivirus programs , but I still worry ...

Reply to
Snag

The orphan variety. I'm not sure how they become such... And yes, I identify them because they eat cycles (and I have a small CPU speedometer on my desktop so I notice).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

(...)

Good on ya. Sounds like you are doing a proper job of it.

I set up my router's webpage as my 'home' address on my browser. It is amazing who I find cohabiting with me. Seems like I add one or two leeches to my 'hosts' file every day. That file is enormous.

I still wonder how I can eject my friends at 74.125.155.nnn if the 'hosts' entry is ignored.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

What firewall are you using?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I downloaded and tried Chrome (Google's browser) for two days. I kept finding the computer online and busy when I wasn't sitting at the desk and it scared me. I quickly banished Chrome (and had never allowed the Google Toolbar) from my computer. The same goes for software like Torrent.

-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah.

I've watched my system monitor just plugging along with no process occupying more than a few percent of CPU while the fan is running like a jet engine and response time slows to a crawl.

Clearly there is something going on that isn't happening during the OS timeslice... :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Winston wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Thu, 05 May 2011 14:32:40 -0700:

It's looking for web pages to catalog and list in its database. Sometimes called webbots or spiders.

dan

I wonder how many minutes it takes for the spider to determine that I'm *still* not hosting any websites locally...?

--Winston

GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no. GOOGLE: Are you hosting any websites? ME: no.

Reply to
Winston