R-22 heat pump WORKS!

Thanks all! It WAS the capacitor. I got one from Grainger for $22 (ouch!) and it did the trick. I did learn about how those caps have a protection device that swells the top and rips lose the internal connections. Cool! Now I'll wait for a warmer day to check the charge. I was pleasantly surprised to find a boatload of paperwork including charts, part lists and instructions when I opened up the unit. I've been reading up on the unit and how to maximize efficiency with the proper charge. Apparently it was a very good one in it's day.

I also pulled the contactor and gave it a once over and dressed the contacts slightly but they were in great shape. The contactor seems to be another major failure point for this unit according to people on the web. No moisture ever got into the electrical area and the rest of the unit is sparkling clean. I hope I get a few more years out of it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thanks for closing the loop.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I'm amazed how clean it all is, the coils have like "fuzzy tinsel" on them and they are sparkling. The inside is debris free and even the fan blades are clean. In contrast, the units at work gets choked with crap and needs acid every couple of years and a good pressure washing. My next project is the water filter like the one Karl recommended.

Reply to
Tom Gardner