Google Street View. (OT perhaps)

If you also get OldEngine or ATIS you will have read about this subject in OZ & the USA. If you go to Google & pick Maps then type in an address in OZ or the USA it will show you a local map with the option "Street View" This will then give you a picture in detail of all the local properties with the ability to move down streets looking Left & Right. The pictures are reputed to be taken with a small car with a 2 foot pole on the roof with a rotating camera. People in the US & OZ are saying that thieves can search properties & view open garage doors looking for loot. I have heard runours that they have started scanning in the UK. Does anyone know if this is true & do we want close-ups of our property published? Your views will be of interest.-- Dave Croft Warrington

Dave Croft

Invasion of privacy comes to mind, I'm not to keen on the idea and they have started scanning in East Anglia according to our local BBC News.. I shall have to buy more padlocks and chains.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

If you don't want people looking at the front of your property, build a wall. Invasion of privacy can't by any stretch of the politically correct imagination restrict people from looking at your house front. Can it?

John

Reply to
John Nice

I'm definitely against it. Too many pics of me & mine on the web now!

Plant a fence guys.............

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Its not the house front that worries me its the classic car, caravan and everything else that will be advertised.

Reply to
campingstoveman

I don't want to make you all too paranoid but if you put your post code into

and then select Bird's ey view you will be able view your house and garden, or any body elses property, from the north, south, east and west!

Multi map use Microsoft Virtual Earth, I would guess the aerial view to be a least 2 years old.

Bob Sier

Reply to
bob

Ah. I don't think we need to clear up everything JUST yet. I've been & looked at our permanent site in Kent which we cleared out of commercial woodland in 2000. It still appears as woodland in the photo & a close study of my street shows an image several years old..

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I have just looked at multimap, the picture is at least two years old in September of 2006 I think and during the week in the morning because both my van and daughters cars are missing.

Reply to
campingstoveman