Newbie questions

Gentlemen, I have been lurking here for a long while and now I'm ready to move on to a first stationary engine. My questions are:- Is there a beginners guide web site? How do I choose a first engine? I fancy a plodder: is a Lister the best place to start? I often see mocking references to the prices being asked in ebay. How do I know what are reasonable prices to start? And where should I look to find them? If I just want to gain experience of these beasts, can I assume one can be mounted in the back of my 40 foot garage driving a 240v generator, instead of lugging it to shows in my car, which will not be man enough to carry it? I can undertake some restoration work if spares are available, and I have a small lathe if required. Mike H South Gloucestershire

Reply to
Mike Hale

Hi Mike,The attached on Peter Forbes website should give you a few tips.

about this time of year some of the last shows of the season tend to be partly sales as well as shows. I don't know about your part of the country but someone will surely sugest a few local sites.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Hi, & welcome to our strange oily world!

I'm in Bristol, so we cannot be far apart - you are welcome to e-mail me off list, we can exchange phone numbers and I'd be happy to chat about the hobby with you.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi Mike, Get ready to be an engine addict,once you start you'll be hooked.Might I suggest you take a trip to the Sodbury sortout near Newbury a week on saturday.There will be a wide selection of engines in various states for sale.If nothing else it will give you an idea of what you may take your fancy.If you want a simple engine to start out with you will probably be looking at a Lister D,Wolseley WD,Bamford or a Ruston PT assuming you want water cooled.There are usually a few of these around the sortout,you just have to have a good look around.If this is your first foray into engines I would advise you buy something in the rough but running category,that way you can pull it to bits and rebuild it without the worry of encountering serious problems and still end up with self satisfaction of having an engine which has been all your own work.That's my tuppence worth anyway.

Kenny Williams

The wild and Woolseley scotsman.

Reply to
k.williams

Would you mind giving more info on the Sodbury sortout. I'd quite like to go.

Mark

snipped-for-privacy@rri.sari.ac.uk wrote:

Reply to
Mark Walker

Good old Google!

Regards,

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Thanks everyone. The webpage was just what I was looking for, and after finding my first copy of SE today, I've discovered that my nearest club meets about 15 minutes walk away from my house. I'll turn up at the next meeting if I'm home that week. Mike

Reply to
Mike Hale

Mike

I have to ask which club you are referring to. If it is the Bristol & South Gloucestershire Stationary Engine Club the details in the magazine are wrong (despite having sent two emails informing them of the change of venue). We now meet at the Coalpit Heath Village Hall (Miners Club) on the first Thursday of the month. If this is the club you were on about and would like more information feel free to contact me OG.

Regards

John Rogers

Reply to
JohnR

Yes that's the one John. Shame, I can walk to Shortwood and have a pint, but Coalpit Heath is a bit out of range, so will have to use the car. Thanks Mike Hale

Reply to
Mike Hale

Ahh, another one on the slippery slope! Welcome to the fold, Mike!