WANTED: Wheels for trolley

Hi,

I have recently completed restoration of my first stationary engine - a Lister D. I now want to make a replica trolley for the engine, but am having difficulty sourcing a pair of wheels.

I need a pair of cast iron wheels around 10" in diameter. I live in Cumbria - the Kendal area - and was wondering if anyone knows where I might try locally to find some?

Many thanks

Graham Culley

Reply to
gdculley

Graham,

If you have access to EBay they always appear there or you could also look in the Adverts of Stationary Engine Magazine.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Go to your nearest scrap metal yard and ask if you can have a rummage round the odds and sods.

Don't bother with car breakers, it has to be a scrap yard, the older the better....

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I assume you are looking for 10" solid cast iron wheels like the wheelbarrow type trolley - these are not the easiest of things to find as most completely solid type wheels seem to be 8" or smaller (spoked wheels used less metal and are less prone to cracking/distorting on cooling ?). as others have suggested stationary engine ads section and Ebay are worth a look, you can also look at cheffins or HJ pugh auctioneers websites for some of there regular vintage auctions. old sodbury sortouts are also good. I used 8" ones with an axle spacer block to mimic a 10" wheel position to tide me over until I found someand - they're still on it 13 years later !

happy hunting

pix

Reply to
pixie

Thanks to everyone for your useful suggestions. I'll give all of these ideas a try, and hopefully find something soon. If like Pix says 10" wheels are very rare, then I'll perhaps resort to his ingenious technique of an axle spacer - very clever!

Thanks again,

Graham

pixie wrote:

Reply to
gdculley

The problem of rarity is more everyone starts with a lister D, read David Edgingtons's guide to the lister D, scales his drawing of a whellbarrow trolley and then goes looking for 10" wheels !! I scaled all the items including the axle clamp blocks and then just added a 1" steel block between the woodwork and the axle blocks. you will probably find that like me, your next project takes over before you find the wheels and they stay on forever !!

I was walking around a local old style DIY place yesterday and saw an old sack truck with 8" solid wheels - maybe thats another source worth investigating!! - check out sack trucks and the like

no #320041551401

hope this helps and good luck

Reply to
pixie