New engineer

Out of interest what would your suggestion be if I was looking to start off with stationary engines? Bearing in mind cost, availability of the engine, availability of spares and giving a gentle learning curve in to restoration. I'm not interested in acquiring a restored engine but don't want to take on something that'll never get finished due to frustration

Cheers, Andy H

Reply to
Andy H

Andy, if you don't already get Stationary Engine, I would advise you read Eric Brain's excellent articles, a guide to first time buying, "Which Engine Should I Buy" Parts 1 & 2.

They are in issues 370 and 371 (Jan & Feb '05).

You can buy both of these as back issues of SEM from their website at

Other than being a subscriber and a one time contributor, I have no connection with SEM. You will find for sale ads in SEM as well. Check these out for some idea of prices before overspending on eBay.

BTW: almost everyone will say start with a Lister D, as parts are obtainable and plenty of info is available.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Thankyou, just the job

Cheers, Andy H

Reply to
Andy H

Welcome to our watering hole Andy ;o))

Speaking for myself, I need to actually see the things in action before my antenna of desire twitch enough to raise the flap of my wallet. I bought several engines when I was starting out that didn't really light my fire because I didn't really know what I was looking for. A good indication is that you find yourself staring at it ;o))

This hobby does have the considerable advantage that there are still interesting lumps about that don't cost a fortune and if you do buy something it later turns out you don't much care for you can always pass it on.

A couple of bits of general advice: whatever you buy, make sure it has both magneto and carburettor. Carbs can be hard to find and you can spend as much on a replacement magneto as you can on buying the engine. Don't be afraid to ask for advice, there are a number of very smart, well informed and helpful people here who are delighted to help.Whereabouts do you live? In all likelihood there will be a club locally and going along to a club night would be a good second step. Contact addresses appear in this month's Stationary Engine Magazine.

We look forward to vicariously sharing your adventures!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

"Spring in the air?" "Spring in the air yerself !"

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Thanks for that, sounds like just the sort of advice I'm after. I live in the Luton, South Beds/ North Herts area

Cheers Andy H

Reply to
Andy H