Is this of any interest to anyone?

A member of the ATIS engine list spotted this and I thought you guys
would enjoy talking about it, (one way or the other)
have no opinion or contact with it.
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

Dave Croft
[Quote] Take: 2 old engine blocks, 2 pieces of pipe, 4 import bearings, some steel plate and a $69 cross feed table.
Add 2 hours of machine shop work and a few minutes of welding, drill a whole bunch of holes and end up with an accurate metal lathe [/Quote]
I feel that's a tad optimistic as regards the time scale.
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson
If you build it yourself in that time .your going to end up with one hopeless inacurate machine. better buy one ready made on ebay.......got my fritz werner for nothing off there.... just keep your eyes open for some guys abandoned project. basket cases on ebay ...don't sell ! Once I had replaced one bearing mine was running and cutting within two or three days..and is absulutly spot-on as far as acuracy is concerned.......but I didnt like the look of the paintwork on it .......3 months later I'm still painting it ...lol. Better taking a risk with an old machine than spending lots of time getting car engine blocks that can't do,what the old machine for nothing can do all the best..mark
Reply to
mark
Possibly a tad optimistic about the end result, regardless of timescale...
Mind you, I'm working on a video right now, entitled "Build yourself a 12" to 1' scale replica of the QE2 before Breakfast". The first line should give you a flavour of the delights to come:
"Take 4.9 trillion matchsticks, 2 billion tubes of UHU, 5 Metric tonnes of empty washing up bottles, 50,000 crates of fresh kippers, and a pair of rubber gloves..."
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
Is Andrew helping you ? -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson
If the budding constructor is going to get through 2 billion tubes of UHU before breakfast, an oxygen mask might be a good idea - unless that's all part of the 'fun'.
Reply to
Wally
With all those kippers around I think he's helping himself ;-)
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
errrr.....wasatyousaid...?
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
In article , Tony Jeffree writes
I'm on to you, matey,
There's no *way* anyone's going to be able to get 5 metric tonnes of empty washing up bottles. It'd take *ages*.
Reply to
Nigel Eaton