Hornsby Stuff

Ray Hooley sent me a load of stuff to put on his web site over Xmas, but some of it is very old and maked, so a lot of digital retouching has been needed to get the pictures and text back to what they should be.

One of the pictures I am working on is a bit of history, showing the two Hornsby-Akroyd oil engines at Fenny Stratford pumping station, engines 101 and

102.

I don't know how old the actual photograph is, but it has 1892 on the back and looks old enough to have been taken from a glass negative at some time. It is nearly A3 sized and I've had to scan it in two halves and join it together as the scanner is only A4.

The detail is very good indeed, and shows a dirt floor in the gloomy pumping house with the two engines driving a common two-throw pump through a gearing system made by "Geo Waller & Co Engineers London".

The retouching of a colour advert over the weekend took about 10 hours of time, but the results have been very goo. I have ordered an A1 and A2 print from the file to see how good the definition is, and will probably do the same with this picture.

Which raises the question: is anyone interested in getting a print as well as me? I'll have to check with Ray Hooley first, but if I have enough positive enquiries I will get a short run done of the colour advert and the pumping house picture.

I should add that both have been suitably modified so that any attempts at copying would be instantly detectable, and I will not be releasing the files, only a professionally printed out picture on 178gsm satin paper.

I'll put both pictures on Ray's website as soon as I have finished the Fenny Stratford photograph retouching.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Sorry about the couple of typo's, I'm just running through a bit of migraine and didn't notice it.

P.

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Don't worry about it Peter, there doesn't seem to be anybody else listening anyway!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

I'm still here...just been busy and haven't had time to reply....busy in the shed making a contraption to assist in the big move of my new toy this weekend.

Cheers

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Im listening too :-)) Nobody to take the mick of though :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Interesting, I've got an engraving illustrating the same with Fenny Stratford Water Works Bucks written on the back. It may be later or the engraver indulged in artistic license as the floor doesn't give the appearance of dirt..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hi Peter, If you have a spare copy it sounds like a nice ATIS auction item to take to the states if you return this year.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Hmmm.. this is most definitely a dirt floor, there's a lot of lumps of what looks like rubble around the engine fronts nearest the camera.

I'll get a copy up on the web pages tonight so you can see.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Copies are up on the web pages:

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Yep, it's the same setup except the engraving perspective is from the left & in front of the LH engine looking toward the RH rear corner.. Every brick is illustrated so I think it's a promo! :-)

The floor is hard to determine in your pic at that resolution.. Maybe a broom would have helped?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

That was 13% size of the image I am working on, which was a scan at 350dpi.

What I thought was photo damage in the extreme left hand lower corner turns out to be a bit of something painted over the photo number which is "818" I will scan this and refit it back on the image to bring it back to its' original condition.

It's a very dark and gloomy photograph, but the detail is still quite good. The biggest problem is fly sh*t or ink spots all over it, that takes as much time as anything else to get rid of.

I've sent you a small piece of the left-hand corner so you can see the rubiish yourself.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes