Photo type handheld Digital Tach DT 2234A works OK

I bought one of those handheld "Photo Type Digital Tachometer" model DT

2234A on EBay this month, I paid $49.00usd. It works fine (first reflective tape didn't stick so I had to take some HiTest to the flywheel to get the fuel oil film off second tape stuck good). The darned thing even agreed with my trusty old $15.00usd TRYSIT Vibrotach and I subsequently reset the speed to the installation-logged setting on an old Deutz F1L 208D, up by 400RPM to 2200.

My DT2234A has no name brand so I simply entered the model number on Google, and I had Hits with the same device with numerous name brands on both continents as well as some very lofty prices. I popped it open to see how ruggedly built it is and

--I'll be gently putting it straight back in the foam padded case as soon as I've taken a reading--,

I think if someone stood on it they would crush it, I wouldn't want to drop it off the bench onto a concrete floor, In spite of my lack of confidence in it's toughness, for the price I paid I'm happy with it,

Duct tape, adhesive aluminum film,and even white paint seemed to work as well as the special reflective tape they sell. If the shaft, flywheel, pulley, or coupler you direct the laser beam at is shiny all-round, you have to base paint or tape over @ 90% of the drum surface and leave only a small portion bright metal reflective.

Reply to
Spud

Yes I bought one from Harbour Freight when they first came out about two years ago. I paid $99 and had a friend ship it to the UK. Works fine with no problems and gives an accurate reading. Handy in my job where I have to measure ink mixing machines. You don't want to get close to spinning blades with 10 kilo's of engineers blue stuck to them - believe me.

Agreed, You can sometimes get a spurious reading of a chuck or similar. I usually hold a large wide Eddings marker pen on the object and mark a band on it , then stick the bit of reflective tape on it. Seems to work best with a piece about 1/4" wide. save the backing and you can keep reusing it

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson