Surviving Stationary Engine Works

Over on the ATIS list there is an interesting discussion on the surviving engine works buildings. This started me thinking that perhaps we ought to try & locate all the old buildings that survive in this country & try to get a collection together before they all disappear. I see what is happening when I see the old Ruston works in Newton le Willows slowly disappearing. How about posting addresses of any works that you know still exist so that we can get pictures?

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

The Carter Brothers premises near Billingshurst, West Sussex are still largely extant (sadly in other use now though).

After designing their own "Reliance" engine, two of the Carter Brothers went to Blackstone - the rest is history.

I'll see if I can get some photos when the sun shines.

In message , Dave Croft writes

Reply to
john. ambler

As I mentioned to Dave earlier on the 'phone, the Britannia Iron Works in Bedford is gone, but the last occupier of the site seems to have retained the entrance arch to the offices. The factory area is being redeveloped for housing now, but it looks as though the arch is to be retained.

Unfortunately, the local council erk managed to plant a lamp standard directly in front of it, so some editing of any picture will be needed.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

I will do that if you want on my way back from swimming tomorrow if you want as I go past. What was the address for the other Bedford company and not Allens :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Hope you're not going in the river....:-))

Crossleys had a facility there as well, through another company, but I cannot remember another maker there apart from Howards.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Slightly OT as not stationary and (hushed tones) hot fog - but the building that now houses the Antiques Warehouse on Rockingham road in Uxbridge was apparently originally Beasley's Iron Works which built engines for Fellows Morton and Clayton (Grand Junction/Union Canal carriers). Can anyone confirm or deny this local legend?

Reply to
Nick H

Kempston Baths actually. Have not been for a couple of weekends so will restrict myself to 50 lengths as I need my strength to load the L at Dans. Hartop, it took a while but I got there in the end :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

engine works buildings.

buildings that survive

slowly disappearing.

Dave, wash your mouth out! Rustons were built in LINCOLN!

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
Light Railway:

Brian Dominic me

Speaking of Crossleys, does anything remain of their works? I understand they do have some sort of minimum facility remaining in Manchester, but no idea whether it's connected with the old premises.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

wrote> Dave, wash your mouth out! Rustons were built in LINCOLN!

-- ____________________________________

engine works buildings.

buildings that survive

slowly disappearing.

Reply to
Paul Evans

Sorry about that , Outlook had a fit.

Ruston were built at Vulcan works for many a year - see

for a history of the works. European Gas Turbines were occupying the Lincoln works but not sure what is happening there now, haven't been for years.

The last two engines to leave the factory when closing last year are now here in Wales, 6RKC and an RK215 from the training school. Rustons are now built at the MAN B & W (ex Mirrlees) factory at Stockport.

for a brief history of Mirrlees.

Crossley works is all but gone as I think has the National works.

Paxman production has moved from Colchester to Stockport as well and I think the only bit left at Colchester is governor work (think that is correct but third hand).

Surprised nobody has mentioned the current state at Dursley or does nobody know.

There are some histories of Gardner, National and a few others due to go on the Anson and Internal Fire sites shortly.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Internal Fire Museum of Power is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK

Reply to
Paul Evans

Forgot, One of the Belliss & Morcom factories in Brum is still there but empty. I was told the other day that at least part of the Tangye Cornwall Works is still there but don't know how true that is - anyone know?

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Internal Fire Museum of Power is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK

Reply to
Paul Evans

for a history of the

is happening there now, haven't been for

in Wales, 6RKC and an RK215 from the

at Stockport.

the only bit left at Colchester is governor

I have no idea, but I do remember a visit there over 30 years ago to collect some JP big end bearings (emergency breakdown job at a bank holiday weekend), I was struck by how splendidly bucolic & potentially inefficient it all seemed with a very straggling site. Also remember visiting a pub next to the works to grab a bite & kill time until the lunch break was over, 'proper' pub & all the locals were drinking cider & not much beer was sold. Sadly with a long drive back I had to be very restrained :-(

Anson and Internal Fire sites shortly.

I drove past the Gardner site the other day, didn't have time to stop but there are some buildings remaining, though not sure how much is of the old Barton Hall works, & some very new development which a quick glance suggested is partly on their site.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Not good, they are on the verge of collapse according to a close friend whose name I shall not mention here. The pension fund has gone leaving a lot of the retired people with no income.

Of the money paid by the development agency (some millions) most has vanished, Deutz has bought the R&D department and won't let anyone in there to access any of the information and so on.

Considering that Lister and Petter between them were sold to the present owners for £85 million and they then had a reasonable market, it has taken but a few years to lose that money plus 16 million from the development agency plus the sale of some of the site land, and it still cannot make anything itself, most of castings come from India !!

A sorry tale indeed, and one that should haunt the woman who was brought in from Cummins to run it originally.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

for a history of the

............... but only once Ruston's had been absorbed / taken over (call it what you will) by English Electric. REAL Rustons were made at LINCOLN!! (wink)

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
Light Railway:

Brian Dominic me

I managed to photograph a number of works}

National Gas Engine Co Ashton under Lyne (most of it gone now) L Gardner & Sons Patricroft (early buildings now gone) J E H Andrew & Co Reddish (now a supermarket) Furnivals Reddish (now houses) Crossley Bros Openshaw (early buildings gone) Original site in Gt Marlbourgh St only had some bricks showing W J Bates & Co Denton (now houses) Mirrlees Bickerton & Day Hazel Grove (compete works still going) W H Bailey Patricroft (not sure) Westinghouse Trafford Park (now demolished) Robson Shipley (article in SE once)

A E & H Robinson's works are now covered by Manchester Citys Football Ground ( whatever that is) :-))

Geoff

engine works buildings.

buildings that survive

Willows slowly disappearing.

we can get pictures?

Reply to
Geoff Challinor

Hi Geoff, if you have the photo,s you have stopped me doing what I thought I might need to do. Can we start a national site of the pictures to outdo the Yanks for once, 8^) If you think of anything you need to be done just tell me. I remember a few years ago going on a one trip a week journey between Stockport & Staleybridge. You could see the name of an engine manufacturer from the window. ISTR National.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Piston rings, or is it squares, must be interesting devices.

John

Reply to
John Manders

engine works buildings.

buildings that survive

Willows slowly disappearing.

we can get pictures?

The Bentall works are still there in Heybridge, Maldon, Essex. The office block (probably added in the '60's) was knocked down and replaced with a similarly soulless shopping centre, but the main factory is still there - vastly modified and now mainly a large printing firm. Bentalls were taken over by Acro (those of prop fame) in the '70's (IIRC). Other than their slightly dodgy but otherwise wonderful 'Pioneer' series and other engines they also made cars, aircraft and megatons of agricultural equipment. Interestingly enough (in an anarakie kind of way) the founder came from Goldhanger - the village in which I now live - started the company off the back of the 'Goldhanger Plough' in the 18??'s.

It was alleged that their cars had square pistons! I have yet to verify this but the local history informs me that this is correct. For those interested, the local 'Museum of Power' at Langford Nr. Maldon have various Bentall events on next year, including their engines and cars - might be interesting if you're in the area (if anyone is interested, I can give you dates etc).

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard