Stationary Engine information request

I picked up this engine at a club auction and would like to find any information and drawings if possible. It is a nice twin cylinder engine and is nearly complete. I would like to complete it and get it running if possible. The steam chest cover has either a W (or an M) on it. Some pictures are shown here.

Any information gratefully received.

Archie

Reply to
Archie

Looks like it could be a Warrior MkII, one of E T Westbury's designs, covered in ME Vol 146-147, Reeves still sell it.

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy

Thanks Jason, I will check it out. Unfortunately Reeves don't show an image of the Warror 2 on their web site. Our club moving out of the club rooms and are having a clear out of old ME magazines so I will see if I can find volumes 146 and 147.

Archie

Reply to
Archie

You can see a drawing of the basic warrior here, the Mk2 was modified with reversing gear etc, some details on the same site but no pics

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy

The Warrior articles were first seen in ME, volume 100, page 165, author Westbury.

The note about ME, volume 146 was about a modified build by Bertinat, (see page 1072)

Regards, Ken Beardsell

Reply to
Ken & Chris Beardsell

On or around Sun, 9 Dec 2007 12:56:59 -0000, "Archie" enlightened us thusly:

the Warror 2 on their web site. Our club moving out

if I can find volumes 146 and 147.

I say, old boy, it'd be better if you didn't type such long lines. I'm sure whatever you're posting on has a line length option in it somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mr. Shackles commented ........

It could be you "Old Boy". It comes up in good order on my screen.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Does Forte Agent not have word wrap, Austin? Agree it can be a bit of a pain to have to switch it on though.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

?? Type 'o' - doesn't seem too onerous to me....

Richard

Reply to
Richard

In article , Richard writes

OK, but (as you can see) I don't use Forte Agent - never used it - and I can never remember the keyboard shortcut for mine, I need it once or twice a year, so I have to hunt around for it.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

information and drawings if possible. It is a nice twin

running if possible. The steam chest cover has either

I happen to have recently tracked down several of the ME magazines covering ETW's series on 'utility steam engines', and in No 2490 he introduces the Warrior engine, together with a photo if you are interested. He says it was a design he developed 18 years ago (so

1931) for a Service training establishment, as something nice and simple for the boys to train on.

He comments (in 1949) that "When I left this establishment I found that quite a number of model engineers in London were interested in an engine of this type, so I handed over the design to a well-known dealer in model supplies. I have reason to believe that quite a number of these engines have been built, though the dealer referred to, for some reason better known to himself, avoided any reference to my name in connection with the design, and the only evidence of its origin was the letter W cast on the steam-chest cover."

It featured in 2490, 2492, and 2494 at least. I am not sure if I have

2496 to check.

I think you have purchased a rather nice little model, and it is without doubt the Warrior.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Interesting that ETW gave away the plans for this engine (and probably many others) and yet when JW Early offers the scans to model engineers on Yahoo MLProjects* groups - also at no profit to himself - Magicalia come down on him like a ton of bricks. Can't the idiots see that they were getting so much free advertising? Rant over! Mike in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

I managed to pick up the original article in ME volume 100 and yes it does continue in 2496. I find it interesting that these issues were printer before I was born. Since the engine I have is a MK 2 I am looking for information on the updated version by J.P. Bertinat in ME Volumes 146 and 147. I managed to find issues 3644 and 3651 but also need 3640, 3642, 3646 and 3649. There is also and article in Vol 144 issue 3587 by J.P. Bertinat which I presume is relevant as it mentions the castings from Reeves. I hesitate to ask the group for scanned copies of the pages I need in case David Clark sends the Magicalia lawyers after me but if anyone can help my email address is :- archie dot mcnee at blueyonder dot co dot uk.

I agree that it is a rather nice model and it would be nice to complete it. I have been plodding through the construction of a Stuart 10V but the Warrior has given me a new impetus to get on and do things in the workshop.

Archie

Reply to
Archie