Beta version of the google groups software

Presentation is certainly nicer but key will be if speed at which new posts appear has improved.

An efficient web based NG access point (mailgate was pretty good) would bring in more engine enthusiasts with computers, rather than computer enthusiasts with engines and I believe this is badly needed for the long term health of this group, as is the long promised 'Engines on the Internet' article in SEM.

I am often asked at club meetings how to 'get onto' the NG but, though I managed to knife and fork my way through it myself, I'm not really sufficiently computer savvy (or good at explaining things) to take them through the process of setting up a Usenet account. I usually end up recommending google groups as the "slow but simple" method, so most people probably get fed up before becoming sufficiently 'hooked' to investigate better ways of access.

How does one get to the beta groups from the main google search page (something that all but AOL addicts can usually find)?

Reply to
Nick H

See

picked this up from the canal group. Compare it with the current version. See
you think that this would be an improvement?

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Only web-based at present as far as I can tell:

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Snip

Hi Nick, I was surprised at the speed that my posting to this group turned up on Google. Much faster than previously. I am posting this at 10.32. lets see when it appears on Google Beta!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

It's already on there.10.33

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Amazingly enough it appeared here at 10:29 - 3 minutes before you sent it!

Regards

MARK

Reply to
Mark Howard

My computor clock must be a few minutes fast. It does work in only 1 or 2 minutes. The time it gives on the Beta page gives the time 8 hours early I noticed.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Reading the blurb, I see that 'beta' means this is effectively a trial version of a service which will eventually replace the current google groups (I guess all the computer buffs knew that anyway). It promises a user friendly interface with max 10sec posting time and 10mins to index - plenty quick enough to keep up with fast moving threads (yes we do get one occasionally!).

Though it is primarily intended to support google's own email based group, it is anticipated that it will also result in a huge influx of neophytes to Usenet. This might upset some established users who like to see it as their own little kingdom relatively unspoilt by the vast rabble of computer 'users' rather than 'enthusiasts' but, possible increases in spamming apart, it should be good for groups such as this which are more interested in content rather than the technology itself.

The more the merrier.

Reply to
Nick H

Morning All, I've just had a look at this. Its interesting, and if it brings some new blood in well and good. Its very betaish this morning, failing to find pages left right and centre.

My Pipex news server is sooo slow these days, that I might be tempted to use it. Hopefully they'll iron some of these bugs out.

Regards,

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

They are out there despite our revered Editor's views. Judging by the number of neophyte bidders most engines on Ebay attract there must be hordes of em just waiting for a decent NG service that the new Google seems to be. It is of course possible that I am naive and that some of these bidders either don't exist or have multiple personalities. Whatever the odd looking bidding patterns are putting lots of people off so its probably to the sellers' disadvantage :-) back to painting :-( Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

news.individual.net is your friend. Lots of people use it over any server provided by their ISP.

How anyone can use a web based interface to newsgroups is beyond me there are many newsreaders out there that have far better functionality than any web interface. Same goes for web based online "forums", whats wrong with a proper mailing list? With a list you don't have to put up with a slow interface, everything arrives in your inbox automagically and can be sorted to relevant folder(s). No need to fire up your browser and follow a book mark just in case there is a new message of interest.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don?t think the number of users of the group has anything to do with the technology myself, as has been discussed before, people have their own reasons for staying away.

All I can say, is that with some of my albums reaching around 600 hits in webshots overnight, and the amount of emails from non group members I get, there are certainly a lot being put off.

Having sold a few items too, I can say the same applies here. I have sold via this group, ebay and my website and in every single case bar one, the person I have sold too is not a poster on this group, yet must be a web user. I think you can segregate Ebay buyers from the other 2 groups to a degree as many of those are either first time enthusiasts who are not necessarily involved too much of a degree in the movement as yet.

I look forward to the day when everyone feels they can post and that its worthwhile doing so. The Beta version will not change this.

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK

Reply to
Chris Bedo

I don't believe that it is the software that puts people off.

Many computer using 'enginemen' that I know do not know about newsgroups full stop. The do not have the computer literacy to set up newsgroup reading with something as simple as Outlook Depress either.

It doesn't help that they are put off by scare stories about being inundated with spam if they use a newsgroup.

Many of them are of an age group or mindset where they think that they are incapable of absorbing the IT knowledge that they think they require.

Perhaps during this show season we could all spread the gospel a little by showing the address of the newsgroup on our display notes and cards and talk to as many other exhibitors about the newsgroup. It may even help to offer assistance where necessary.

Reply to
George Hendry

It is true that things like peaks in webshots hits indicate that there must be two or three hundred lurkers out there who for whatever reason do not choose to join in (let's not get onto that one again!). However there are others who don't know anything about newsgroups and would probably have problems setting up a new account anyway - I know, I've spoken to some. Given a decent web-based interface and an article in SEM, I'm sure a few of those would come on board.

Reply to
Nick H

"Dave Liquorice" wrote >

Thanks, Dave, I've registered now and it knocks spots off the Pipex server.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G