A good day with a gun hater

Ditto, great to hear Don's 'back', albeit not 'here'.

It bugs me that the best apples I've found are imported from New Zealand (Jazz and Envy).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

My sister lived in Hooston for a number of years, she loved it...except for the allergies, termites and heat. She has lots of good stories Sometimes, Texans show up at our door for BBQ and beers.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Bigger..in power or range?

My 375 Holland and Holland is bigger..but has less range.

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

We'll be there!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Oh yeah! I've learned from many others that we never get over loss of a spouse but we can learn to live with it. Some don't; some get stuck. There's one guy in a group I attend whose loss was 17 years ago. Most in that group are doing MUCH better than that. One would never believe that the hilarious and sometimes raucous gatherings for dinner and drinks in local pubs after "group" iare a "grief support group". Newbys come timorously, draped in the terrible despair and gloom we've all experienced -- been there, done that, got the tee shirt -- and we gather them in, include them in the fun like they have no choice (they don't), get them laughing, and pretty soon they become part of our rowdy gang. We don't burn any candles at those gatherings. So far we also haven't burned down any bars, danced on the tables or shot out the lights but stay tuned...

We must process our grief and that is more painful than anyone who hasn't experienced it can begin to imagine -- but it's work that we must do if we are to maximize the quality of and joy in the lives we have yet to live.

I'm still processing, but I'm starting to enjoy life again and I'm smiling and laughing a lot. A LOT!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks, Bob! Karl encouraged me to at least check in and read a bit.

In case it isn't obvious to y'all, Karl is a rare kind of friend.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Take her fishing -- already done several times. She loves to fish and she's good at it. Doesn't care much for trolling, though...

Sounds like your version of two way is take and take some more.

No, it doesn't. But owning guns does mean that you must know how to use them responsibly, safely and legally. My informed opinion is that those who might be close to one who owns and values firearms should understand them, whether or not they care to own them.

I think V will get a carry permit, simply because she now can. I honestly don't care either way; I'm satisfied that she is informed about safety and legal considerations and functionally competent. I am very sure that V will not want a new handgun of her choosing as a "graduation present". She has declared that shooting will not become a passion or even enjoyable activity for her as it is for me. But we can still share it and, God help me, I know I'm doomed to try golf with her when my shoulders get better.

V's daughter is really looking forward to that bigtime. "Yeah, now I don't have to come in last every time. DON GOLF, YESSS!"

Same daughter is up for and even eager for intro to handguns sooner than later, and she's bugging Mom to go get that permit that she's qualified for. Ya don't have to use what you have, but ya can't use what you don't have and might come to wish you did have one bad Katrina day when need puts civility on hold at times.

Read back on this very newsgroup to 2005 about a thread regarding whether or not it was moral to forcefully steal food for self and yours from others that have it and need it no less. The concensus in this group, far far less political then than now, was yes: in such exigent circumstances it was moral.

That bothered me a lot. It was then that I decided I should acquire means and skills to defend my castle and loved ones with more than a baseball bat and forlornely hopeful appeal to 911 which was totally inop in N.O. during Katrina. Such accquisitions and skillbuilding cannot be accomplished in hours of critical need, or in days or weeks thereafter.

I totally believe that neither I nor any of my loved ones will ever need to fire a shot in self-defense. But, being a vet and defender of our liberty as so many before me, I understand that the necessitiy to do so does happen now and then whether we like it or not.

YMMV

Reply to
Don Foreman

Only true if one has invested the effort to become proficient, cognizant of safe practices and legal contraints on use of deadly force.

The big concern here is judgement of field of fire such that innocents won't get hit by near misses or punch-throughs. You've done Hogan's Alley, you know the challenge.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I've met Karl & his wife when they passed through the area, and I can believe that. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm glad to hear that. You're one of the good guys, and you deserve it. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well said Don..and welcome back old friend!

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

True enough.

So how about:

"Its far better to have a gun and the training to use it, and not need it..then to need it and have neither"

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Roger that.

Reply to
Don Foreman

We grow a great apple----Akane. They don't get much better, but they have a short shelf life.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I've never tasted an Akane so I'll look for it locally.

I like Golden Delicious (used to have 2 gigantic trees) and Granny Smiths mixed for apple pies. I like turnovers best, though. GDs have to be really fresh, as they turn mealy when they age. Their skins are just a bit thinner than Red delicious, but I usually peel apples anyway. I've bought apple pies (with skin on) which seemed to be about 1/4" thick and tough as leather. Nasty! I won't buy another "healthy, natural" apple pie. I bake sugarless treats w/ Splenda.

I love eating sweet, crisp Galas and Fujis, and Jazz is OK.

Just once, I paid $1.39 for a single Honeycrisp. At $2.49 a pound, they're about a buck and a half overpriced. Overrated.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I doubt you'll find any. I've never seen them anywhere, but bought the small tree from a neigbor, who operates Burnt Ridge Nursery. At the time, I didn't have a clue what I was buying, but it has proven to be a wonderful apple. Too bad it doesn't keep long, but Susan dries them, so they don't go to waste.

Drive up and enjoy one fresh off the tree. She's still harvesting.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Once I start making my millions with the CNC router, I'll do that, 'Arry. This is a rainy week so I should be able to get back out into the shop and finish it. Then I start my learning curve.

Reply to
Larry Jaques