Don Foreman

That's pretty cool Don.

John P.

Reply to
John P.

It should hold up an elephant!

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Nice job! You know what's going to happen now, right? Yup, that old water pipe is gonna break .

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

Well, a full grown elephant weighs 6,000-8,000 pounds.

Those pins in Don's rig look to be about 3/16" diameter, and if they're carbon steel the double shear strength will be about 4,000 lbs each, or

8,000 lbs total.

But, the pin holes are pretty close to the edges of the hinges, so that's probably where it would fail if you tried to hoist an elephant, though it's unlikely that the weight of one daughter could ever fail them.

For one part of SWMBO's practice I had a lot of fun creating overhead suspension points for stuff kids swing around on. We use a lot of spring carribiners to let various pieces of apparatus get swapped in and out easily.

The fixed overhead suspension points are 5/8" eyebolts and it's amazing how much the contacting surfaces of the carribiners and eyebolts show wear in about a year with what's probably less that 125 lbs of load swinging back and forth on them. I can't use lube there 'cause it'll mess up the therapist's hands and clothes.

When the wear gets about a quarter of the way through the diameter of a part I let my son built them back up with MIG and they're ready for another year.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Nice. Your daughter might like

or

ATP*

Tell us more of this chromating you apparently perform.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
Mike Berger