A2 shear strength

Do any of you engineer types have any idea what the shear strength of
un-hardened A2 tool steel rod is at .235 diameter? I have an anchor point
for a leaf chain that is a 1" square cross-section block with 3 partitions
for the end link of the chain to fit between. The partitions are about
3/16", 1/8", and 3/16". The 2 gaps thus formed have about 3/16" width each
in the hollows created by these partitions. The leaf chain is anchored by a
pin passing through these partitions. The present pins were necessarily
destroyed in removal. New chain is being used, and for the moment, new A2
pins have been made. I'm looking for what linear chain load these pins might
withstand in this usage. I can also harden these pins if it is deemed
necessary. I'm just curious as to their strength in the natural state. The
following link is to a leaf chain, in case others are unfamiliar with this
item.

Thanks
RJ
Reply to
Backlash
Anything made of iron is pretty much guaranteed to be above 20KSI, and I would suspect annealed tool steel to be in the 80KSI range? (Hardened it's up around 100-150, no?) That would make almost 2 tons shear on your rod. If you're under 1000lbs. I would say "you're okay" with less hesitation than using any other number I pull outa my butt.. :^)
Tim
-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics, - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

Site Timeline