AA battery questions

I use AA batteries in my camera. I have about two dozen of them, as I use my camera professionally.

Lately, in my good charger, when I put some in, the red light flashes, indicating some problem. Checking them with a volt meter shows from .4 to

1.27 volts. When I put them in, and hit the "REFRESH" button quickly, it does not engage, but the light goes to flashing. I have rotated about eight questionable batteries in the charger in all combination of slots, and I still get a flashing light.

Is there a way to test these batteries to tell if they are toast? I'm sure that they are probably gone, and I need some more to replenish the quantity I like to keep on hand. But before I do toss them, I'd like to be sure.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Nicad or Nmih?

Best deal Ive found on them is a guy one ebay who sells relabled Enerloops. Ive been tickeled shitless with the price and lifespan so far.

Guy sells em in various quantities at very good prices.

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

Yah..you can still get nicads..but Nmih is almost as cheap now, works better in most applications and they are as available if not more so than Nicads. Nicads have gotten really really cheap on Ebay..but there are far fewer sellers.

you are most certainly welcome.

Ive purchased several orders from that particular seller and will keep buying from him as his stuff is damned good and his price and reputation are well thought off.

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

Jerwelcome!

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

I just bin them when the charger objects. The main thing is to have a charger which charges and reports on each cell individually; IME chargers which give every cell the same end up toasting them much more quickly.

Reply to
newshound

If you have NiMH cells reading .4V, they're not likely to ever come back to anything useful. I bought the LaCrosse charger, and I'm not sorry. Crappy chargers will kill NiMH cells.

The cells are getting cheap enough that I simply don't bother with troublesome ones. Coscto has good deals on Eneloop, but this week my local store had about a millio AAAs and no AAs. I'm going to give Gunner's source a try. I hope it's not a trap :-)

Reply to
rangerssuck

Ebay usually has sellers of Eneloops.

.

If you have NiMH cells reading .4V, they're not likely to ever come back to anything useful. I bought the LaCrosse charger, and I'm not sorry. Crappy chargers will kill NiMH cells.

The cells are getting cheap enough that I simply don't bother with troublesome ones. Coscto has good deals on Eneloop, but this week my local store had about a millio AAAs and no AAs. I'm going to give Gunner's source a try. I hope it's not a trap :-)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

anything useful. I bought the LaCrosse charger, and I'm not sorry. Crappy chargers will kill NiMH cells.

ones. Coscto has good deals on Eneloop, but this week my local store had about a millio AAAs and no AAs. I'm going to give Gunner's source a try. I hope it's not a trap :-)

I understand it's a good charger and people love it - until it melts down?

Amazon quit carrying it...

Reply to
Richard

But Amazon does carry the Wizard-one - $50.

Richard

Who would buy one of those? Smart battery chargers are everywhere these days and they work very very well.

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

Of course its a trap. I use traps on all my people here on the metalworking group.

Duh!

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

Im a big fan of the MAHA chargers. Ive been using them for at least 15 yrs with absolutely no complaints.

One of my favorite ones...

Works great and has battery conditioning as well. Plus it has a 12vt cigarette lighter plug so I can charge batteries in the truck.

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

I went back & forth between the maha and lacrosse (which also has a 12V ada= pter) and settled on the lacrosse because it had some more geeky features, = which I'll probably never use. It does have battery conditioning, which I'v= e used on som older cells which had been damaged by a crappy charger. It di= d squeeze some more life out of them, but as I said, the cells are cheap en= ough that I just don't bother with questionable ones.

Reply to
rangerssuck