Acquiring used propane tanks

Just thinking about calling up a couple local propane retailers and asking for old tanks that are no longer certified. However, I got to thinking about what I would say, and wondering how I would not come across as an idiot (not much effort there!) that's more likely to blow themselves up. So, what's the best way to approach a dealer and get some old tanks, or even some larger ones, like the 40lb tanks, which I think have a few more uses than the smaller ones. Do many places charge for them or are they more happy just to see them go away?

Reply to
carl mciver

Around here, larger ones are sucked up faster than you can imagine. Seems like everyone and his brother wants to build some sort of a BBQ rig....... I have been looking for something in the 200 to 30 inch od and about 6 foot long for some time now.

Reply to
Grady

Where do you live, Egypt? Jeez, around here used BBQ tanks seem like they're everywhere. I wouldn't use a dealer, no way, not for the little tanks. Just ask around. Try

to see if there's a CL near you, those are great, just post a wanted ad. Amazing what people will give away.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I see the 20# ones at my local metal recycling place all the time.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

There is a pile of out of date/rusty ones next to near every filling station. They are probably paying to dispose of them.

Reply to
bamboo