adjustable torque air screwdrivers

Does anyone have experience in adjustable torque air screwdrivers? Can you recommend a brand?

I want to put 4-40 TC screws into an aluminum casting.

I suppose I should go twist off a few screws with a torque wrench to see what level of torque we need...

We are using electric screwdrivers now, but they are kind of wimpy and need to be recharged too often.

Thanks in advance, Bill Chernoff

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

If the electric screwdrivers are doing the job, consider removing the batteries and connecting them to a "real" power supply. Can probably boost the voltage 10% as well for a little more power. Should be a lot cheaper than the good air screwdrivers.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I'll add to that as the wire will be a lot more flexiblle than the air line.

Bob May

On the day of Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:48:33 -0800... "Bob May" typed these letters:

Plus... An air compressor will cost more to run than the electric screwdrivers. Unless you are already running a compressor.

Reply to
Devonshire

I have an electric production screwdriver that I bought but can't use for my needs I paid $40 on eBay and would gladly sell it for that, It's a serious piece and will need a balancer. Let me know.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The best we sold were ARO. However Sioux was a very good performer as well.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Believe it or not, the following has worked for us for about 7 years with no problems.

  1. Buy .00 Skill rechargeable screwdriver.

  1. Take it apart, throw away nicad, wire switch directly to charger jack.

  2. Make a cord to go between charging jack and old PC-XT power supply.

  1. Connect to common and + 5 volts.

The adjustable torque "feature" is your hand. You can learn to hold the screwdriver so that when the correct torque is hit, the screwdriver twists in your hand taking your thumb off the switch.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

One minor update...

Strike out "throw away" and substiture "dispose off properly"

Reply to
Jim Stewart

We used to use HIOS electric torque screwdrivers when I worked in electronic assembly. They run off a power supply that plugs into the wall, so you don't have to worry about batteries dying on you. They worked quite well. The only problem was that they weren't marked very precisely for torque settings -- you'd either have to buy a torque calibrator or send them out to a lab to set them accurately.

Reply to
Steve

"Bill Chernoff" wrote in message news:cIHLf.67480$H%4.1555@pd7tw2no... | Does anyone have experience in adjustable torque air screwdrivers? Can you | recommend a brand? | | I want to put 4-40 TC screws into an aluminum casting. | | I suppose I should go twist off a few screws with a torque wrench to see | what level of torque we need... | | We are using electric screwdrivers now, but they are kind of wimpy and need | to be recharged too often. | | Thanks in advance, | Bill Chernoff

At work I use Cleco, Ingersol Rand, Atlas Copco, and a few other brands of screwguns and nutrunners. Ours are all fixed calibration due to the precise nature of the game, but you can also get them in adjustable. Not cheap, but they run down fast and stop clean. You won't see this on the basic information in all the catalogs, but some folks are particular about whether they run any time the trigger is pulled or run only when the trigger is pulled and the driver pushed down, telling it there's work to do. The Cleco brand I like won't run until you press down with the fastener and trigger pulled, and once torqued off will require tool lifting and repressing to hit it again, which may or may not be a good thing for you. Do a search for pneumatic screw drivers or similar on ebay. The stuff marketed to aviation will have a lot more stable torque range, which for a

4-40 I assume you want. Of course with functionality comes price...

You can adjust the torque on drywall drivers....

Reply to
carl mciver

You should be able to control the torque by regulating the air line pressure on any brand . Luck Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Thanks all for the replies.

As far as calibration, I would be happy to twist off or strip a few screws on some test pieces, then back off the slip-clutch setting...

I forgot to mention that the electric screwdrivers we use now are too slow. Using a plug-in power supply might solve that, but I still want the no-brainer slip clutch.

Bill Chernoff

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

I second the recommendation of a Cleco. I probably bought over 40 of them for a 2 shift operation, and they were the most accurate and trouble free brand that we had. Push to start and the clutch kicked out at a pre-set torque that was not sensitive to air pressure. Not cheap, but a quality, trouble free tool.

John Normile

Reply to
John Normile